Talk

Advanced search

Absolutely Unputdownable Books

(260 Posts)
spacemonkey Fri 27-Feb-04 18:54:45

Just interested to know what books mumsnetters found absolutely impossible to put down ...

Here are some of mine:

- Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
- anything by Jane Austen
- Villette - Charlotte Bronte
- Diary of a Nobody - George & Weedon Grossmith
- If This Is A Man - Primo Levi
- His Dark Materials Trilogy - Philip Pullman
- The Wrong Boy - Willy Russell
- Moab is my Washpot - Stephen Fry
- Things Can Only Get Better - John O'Farrell
- The Consolations of Philosophy - Alain de Botton

and (ahem) all the Harry Potters

What are yours?

hmb Fri 27-Feb-04 18:57:08

The Red Tent, which was recomended by Jimjams. I was still reading at 2 in the morning, even though I knew that I would be up at 6!

I also loved Things can only get Better.

Angeliz Fri 27-Feb-04 18:57:49

Celestine Prophecies-James Redfeild
Wuthering Heights-Emily Bronte
Bridget Jones(both)-Helen Feilding

squirmyworm Fri 27-Feb-04 18:58:51

I love gory crime stuff and tense scary thrillers. Greg Iles's latest is fab - can't remember its name and all of Tess Gerritsen's have been excellent 'late into the night' stuff. I also comfort read and all the Jilly Cooper 'Prudence', 'Imogen' etc books are great as 'sit in the bath and read them in a sitting until you are all dry and pruney and surrounded by twirl bar wrappers' stuff

spacemonkey Fri 27-Feb-04 19:00:12

oo yeah I forgot Bridget Jones!

Freckle Fri 27-Feb-04 19:01:29

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. Brilliant. As well as the 2 sequels. The Cross-Stitch books - no they're not about sewing - by Diana Gabaldon, although they are not the sort of books to pass on to your mum unless you're comfortable with her reading about sex (or knowing that *you've* read about it)!!

suzywong Fri 27-Feb-04 19:01:48

OOh yes I agree with - Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro. Have you tried 'When we were Orphans'? It's harrowing but draws you right in.

collision Fri 27-Feb-04 19:01:48

Everything by James Paterson......Squirmyworm, have you read these as they are tense murdery thrillers and fantastic! I love them and stay up all night to finish one!

spacemonkey Fri 27-Feb-04 19:03:15

No suzy, not read any of his other books, but I'll get hold of that one at the earliest opportunity!

suzywong Fri 27-Feb-04 19:03:50

Are you coming in to the bar

squirmyworm Fri 27-Feb-04 19:06:16

oooh YES collision - LOVE James Paterson - he was one of those authors I read one book by and then went and devoured the rest in a big chunk

ks Fri 27-Feb-04 19:20:20

Message withdrawn

suzywong Fri 27-Feb-04 19:22:26

This is a great thread
Agree with Peter Carey, have you tried 'The Illywhacker'

I would much rather take a recommedation from a MNer than a newspaper book review

melsy Fri 27-Feb-04 19:25:56

Angeliz , I was hooked on Celestine prophecy and HAD to buy the whole series. Below are a few faves , but I will report back if I remeber any others:

- Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
- The Tales of Murasaki - Liza Dalby
- Geisha - Liza Dalby
- Conversations with God - Neal Donald Walsh. Following on from the themes discussed in Celestine, Neale discusses his spiritual conversations with God. Very lovely thoughts and feelings , many in the series.
- Strange fits of passion - Anita Shreve , read all of them but this one is the best.
- Written on the Body - Jeanette Winterson
- The Passion - Jeanette Winterson
- Possession: A Romance - A.S. Byatt

I know , bit mad on the japan/geisha stuff!!!

tamum Fri 27-Feb-04 19:26:36

Completely agree with the Quincunx, ks! And his other book, can't remember whether it's the same as the one you mentioned. A Suitable Boy is another of mine.

ks Fri 27-Feb-04 19:27:31

Message withdrawn

spacemonkey Fri 27-Feb-04 19:27:37

Wild Swans is another one I forgot to add.

ks Fri 27-Feb-04 19:29:24

Message withdrawn

tamum Fri 27-Feb-04 19:31:28

Aargh, I remember that I thought aha at the end of the book, and was sure I knew, but I read it the year it came out (mid eighties?) and haven't re-read it, so I have no memory of anyone's names or anything. Or events for that matter
I'll re-read it and tell you what I think! ROFL about your solicitor

ks Fri 27-Feb-04 19:33:55

Message withdrawn

spacemonkey Fri 27-Feb-04 19:34:46

You're really making me want to read it now you two - no plot spoilers please!

melsy Fri 27-Feb-04 19:35:22

Ks - I LOVED I capture the castle, good story although a little odd in some parts. I would like to see the film now though!!

Lisa Dalby is drier than Artur Golden, his descriptions are more beautiful, it is very hard to find an author like him. If any one has any suggestions???

collision Fri 27-Feb-04 19:39:53

You are all very deep readers, methinks! I like James Paterson and the next one for me to read is Shane Richies autobiography!!!!! How shallow am I?

katierocket Fri 27-Feb-04 19:43:00

Wild Swans - Jung Chang
one of the most amazine (true) stories ever.

Posey Fri 27-Feb-04 20:07:39

Had to go and get my little book of books (yes, I write down all the books I've read, don't know why, but now its coming in handy!)

Most recent unputdownable was "Letters from A. Nutt" which is non-fiction, read in one sitting. Actually read it in bed when ds was still sleeping in our room and had to keep shoving the duvet in my mouth to stop me laughing so much and wake him up
Others include:
- The Secret History - Donna Tartt
- Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
- 84 Charing Cross Road - Helene Hanff
- The Lost Continent - Bill Bryson
- A Fatal Inversion - Barbara Vine
- The 39 Steps - John Buchan
- Under the Skin - Michael Faber
- anything by Jonathan Coe

My first unputdownable was "A Woman of Substance" when I was 14.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: