Talk

Advanced search

Calling all Book Collectors - What have you got? What are you hunting for?

(84 Posts)
busybusybee Thu 01-Jun-06 21:27:21

I have a heap of kids books that are starting to become a family collection!

Just wondering what sort of books other MN collect!!!!

WelshBoris Thu 01-Jun-06 21:28:45

I read anything and everything, so my only collection is of books in general!

busybusybee Thu 01-Jun-06 21:30:00

I have a particular passion for hardbacked collections of stories - especially fairy tale collections/childrens classics. Also nursery rhymes and books by my favourite authors and artists.

Trying to collect a complete set of the origonal Brambley Hedge at the moment!

WelshBoris Thu 01-Jun-06 21:31:15

oooh actually I have most of Enid Blytons books in my parents house, cant wait til DD can read them

Mercy Thu 01-Jun-06 21:39:15

I don't actively collect but I do hav quite a few childrens books from the late 1890s to early 1950s which belonged to family - and mostly inscribed with the year and occasion which is nice!

This Franny's area of expertise I believe.

busybusybee Thu 01-Jun-06 21:44:49

You are correct Mercy! I have been trying to attract her attention!!!

Your childrens books sound interesting - I only have 3 pre 1950 books.

H has a large collection of star trek, star wars patrick robinson etc - Man books!

I like kids picture books best - fantastic art work essential!!!! Books by the Anholts (Sp?) and Jane Hissey for example

KateF Thu 01-Jun-06 21:47:04

Trying to collect a complete set of an old-fashioned school series. Unfortunately the ones I need are the rare ones and so expensive.

FrannyandZooey Thu 01-Jun-06 21:47:16

Ooh busy bee, great thread

I collect Antonia Forest and am loving the GGB reprints, but also have some originals. They are reprinting the historical novels this year and I can't wait. I would dearly like a copy of her book The Thursday Kidnapping (and will get one, don't you worry )

I collect Noel Streatfeild. I have about 40 of hers; I think the rarest is "Lisa Goes to Russia".

I also like to buy K.M. Peyton, Ruth Manning-Sanders, and anything illustrated by Harry Clarke.

I would like the final book in the "Trebizon" series because then I will have the lot and will sell my collection. They're not my favourites by any stretch. Nice to collect, though.

I am not so much hunting for things as slowly saving up for things. Every now and then I just go for it. Mostly at book fairs, after hours of wandering around, savouring the different prospects, holding the books and examining them...smelling them

ooooh <pleasurable shivers>

azroc Thu 01-Jun-06 21:48:15

I am trying to get all of Astrid Lindgren's books - in English - nearly there! Only the really expensive ones still to get...

FrannyandZooey Thu 01-Jun-06 21:49:07

Which series, Kate?

Did anyone here go to the Antonia Forest conference? I would love to hear what it was like.

nikkie Thu 01-Jun-06 21:51:08

Chalet school books. I used to read these as a kid and started collecting for when dd1 is old enough.
Apart from that I read (and collect ) almost any thing!

busybusybee Thu 01-Jun-06 21:51:37

Gosh! Although I recognise most of those authors none of them tickle my ummmmm fancy iykwim!

Ill stick with picture books! - I drool over beautiful illustrations

KateF Thu 01-Jun-06 21:51:47

The Chalet School series Franny. Started collecting them as a kid when I picked one up at a jumble sale. I have some Antonia Forest and Noel Streatfield too. Am looking forward to reading them to dd1 soon. I also have all the Swallows and Amazons ones of which I'm quite proud. My grown up collection is African writers.

FrannyandZooey Thu 01-Jun-06 21:54:17

Busybee, this is the illustrator I adore

FillyjonktheSnibbet Thu 01-Jun-06 21:55:10

tove jansson, am desperate for her autobiography in english. (she wrote the moomin books featuring the original fillyjonk)

Anna Cath Vestey (the Aurora books, a deeply pc series about a norwegian girl living in a tower block with her brother and SAHD. Actually really well written)

Astrid Lingren also, but am really just starting there.

FrannyandZooey Thu 01-Jun-06 21:57:04

Chalet School a wonderful series to collect

Have you bought the Girls Gone By reprints?

FrannyandZooey Thu 01-Jun-06 21:58:28

Fillyjonk, I have seen a copy of Tove's autobiography, but missed out on buying it

KateF Thu 01-Jun-06 22:00:41

Yes - I get newsletters from a great company called TopsyTurvey so have been aware of the GGB reprints. I already had a couple of them so will be on the lookout for any more. Interesting how many Astrid Lindgren fans there are. She was one of my childhood favourites and I would love to get hold of some for the dds but I've never seen any about.

charliecat Thu 01-Jun-06 22:01:54

I am looking for tatty nancy drews for dd to read.

elizabuff Thu 01-Jun-06 22:03:29

Fantastic thread. Right up my street.

Collect C.S. Lewis books (of all genres) and still desperately trying to put together a shockingly expensive collection of his Narnia firsts (btw, this was an obsession before the film, not inspired by it). Anyone who has anything to do with Narnia in written format that they want to get rid of (not just paperback reprints but interesting stuf IYKWIM) please throw it my way! I would love to get my hands on the Narnia Cookbook, but alas, no-one wants to sell it to me.

An aspirational 'collection' (currently very small) of children's firsts - am hoping to get a copy of EB White's ^Charlotte's Web^ very soon and also investing in modern children's illustrators.

Also got a good selection of F. Scott Fitzgerald and more cookery books than I know what to do with

busybusybee Thu 01-Jun-06 22:08:06

oooooooh just remembered I want a complete set of little house on the prairie books

I am interested that most other mn seem to go for first editions - I tend to go for books in fantastic condition with a front cover I like - or remember from my childhood - Im truly amateur at this arent I!

KateF Thu 01-Jun-06 22:13:56

I don't do first editions either, mainly because I can't afford to . I just like having the books to read so I'm an amateur too!

azroc Thu 01-Jun-06 22:16:57

So does anybody know what else Tove Jansson wrote apart from the Moomin books and the Summer Book (that has been printed in English!)?

elizabuff Thu 01-Jun-06 22:18:11

Goodness, I don't read the first editions ! I have crappy paperbacks to drop in the bath for that purpose.

They're my savings account, hopefully with a better interest rate than the bank. Listen to me, sounding all mercenary...

Lullabyloo Thu 01-Jun-06 22:45:49

I adore books,they are my absolute passion and willhappily go without shoes,clothes and girly stuff to add to the overstuffed bookshelves.
Used to collect beautiful victorian hardbacks but now am stocking up on the old matt ladybird and enid blytons that I so treasured as a child for my little boy.He has inherited my love of books and is a real little book worm.I love bedtimes..snuggling up with a big pile of scrummy favourites!!!
Charity shops are great hunting grounds as are car boots.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: