Talk

Advanced search

A new book by Isabella Allende?

(10 Posts)
rubyloo Tue 30-May-06 23:39:47

I have read books by this author in the past and loved them.. the trouble is I haven't read anything for six months or more!! (studying and working zap my energy for literature). I could be tempted back by a new book by this writer. Anyone know anything about her latest book.. I need inspiration to get reading again. Plus Im due to go on holiday next week and might actually get a chance to read!!
Thanks xx

spacedonkey Wed 31-May-06 15:40:37

iirc her latest book came out about a year ago and is a retelling of Zorro!

Chandra Wed 31-May-06 15:45:19

IMO Isabel Allende's best work were the earlier books, have your read them all? . If you want to try other author, I have found certain similarities with some of Amy Tan books, it's not magical realism but they have something in them that gives them a similar "feel".

suzywong Wed 31-May-06 15:47:36

I have the one about erotic recipes on my bedside table

not stricly fiction though

You've read House of the Spirits, I take it - Jeremy Irons as Estaban in the film version - were the producers on crack!!!!?/

spacedonkey Wed 31-May-06 15:51:42

I've never read any of her books myself, although Eva Luna is dp's favourite book

Chandra Wed 31-May-06 15:52:03

The Stories of Eva Luna were my main subject for one of my dissertations. The House of the Spirits is IMO her best book. I did stop buying her books after Aphrodite, I didn't like the new books as much, probably because by the time I knew the author so well that I could anticipate most of what was going to happen in the book... and lost interest.

rubyloo Wed 31-May-06 16:26:45

hi there.. thanks for posting.I suppose my affection for her books is based on the earlier ones.. haven't even heard of Aphrodite!!! very out of touch, but then i did say it. I loved House of the spirits and Paula (?) the one about her daughter. Maybe I won't bother with her latest stuff. The Amy Tan recomedation was appreciated. I read a couple of her books years ago.. what are the latest ones like, a recomendation maybe?

Chandra Wed 31-May-06 16:43:48

The Joy Luck Club
The Kitchen God's Wife
The Bonestter Daughter
The Hundred Secret Senses

There was another one after them, that was not exactly a novel but an autobography (I think) and, as the reviews were not particularly good I didn't buy it.

Chandra Wed 31-May-06 16:45:03

The stories of Eva Luna (Allende) is good, I liked it better than Eva Luna. But is not a novel but a collection of short stories.

rubyloo Wed 31-May-06 18:40:35

Thanks Chandra! Ive read the Joyluck club and enjoyed it so if i get chance Ill pick up one of the others before I go away.. Ill also try and find the short stories book as they might be good for my poor concentration!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: