Talk

Advanced search

can anyone recommend a musical biography?

(16 Posts)
SenoraPostrophe Sun 28-May-06 21:56:13

bro's birthday coming up - he is v keen musician and reader. was toying with the idea of buying 45 by Bill Drummond, but suspect he's too young (he's 25 I think. but he does really like the beatles and the smiths). considered buying a libertines book, but refuse to buy one with a title like "how the libertines changed the face of music".

so has anyone read any good ones? I have read nothing lately.

snafu Sun 28-May-06 22:10:15

Not a biography as such but looks good - keep meaning to buy it myself

Or the John Peel one?

Or, the best music biog ever (imho) Head On/Repossessed by Julian Cope? Hilarious, brilliantly written, well worth a read even if he's not a fan - it's marvellous.

WigWamBam Sun 28-May-06 22:15:24

A Cure for Gravity by Joe Jackson is superb. It's as much about music and getting to grips with it as it is about Joe Jackson, and he is a very intelligent, articulate writer.

SenoraPostrophe Sun 28-May-06 22:16:00

really - I looked at the jc biography too, but thought that a) bro is too young and b) cope is too weird. you think he might like it?

snafu Sun 28-May-06 22:16:21

WWB, you must have read Head On, surely?

WigWamBam Sun 28-May-06 22:17:24

There's also \link{http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0722538820/104-1386580-0646307?v=glance&n=283155\Head On/Repossessed by Julian Cope; I loved them but it depends on what sort of stuff he's into - and Julian Cope is maybe not everyone's cup of tea.

snafu Sun 28-May-06 22:17:35

Honestly, SP, the Cope one is excellent. I read it when I was your bro's age and not a huge JC fan (then), and loved it.

WigWamBam Sun 28-May-06 22:17:47

<Ahem>

Missed that, snafu

snafu Sun 28-May-06 22:20:40

If not, there's always The Severed Alliance, which is the classic Smiths biog.

The new Anthony Kiedis/Chili Peppers one has had good reviews, too.

SenoraPostrophe Sun 28-May-06 22:38:09

oh I don't know now...

I'm assuming he's read the severed alliance.

the joe jackson one looks really good. might buy that for him and the cope one for me and then i'll give it to him if I think he';ll like it.

>maybe not everyone's cup of tea. <snort> you're right there!

...and shamed beyond socrates... to penetrate the diamond, the pituitry gland gets torn on its axis and frees(?).

BadHair Sun 28-May-06 22:47:50

The John Peel one, definitely, if he's not read it already.
I once read a fantastic book about a jazz musician called Art Pepper. I hadn't got a clue who he was but I read it because Bono name-checked it in an interview when I was an impressionable 15, but it was a harrowing account of his (Art's, not Bono's obviously) heroin addiction and life in jazz. Sounds bizarre but that book's always stayed with me for some reason.
Or the Bono Conversations book, if that's his bag?

BadHair Sun 28-May-06 22:54:45

Straight Life, it's called, by Art and Laurie Pepper. Amazon have it here . I might just buy it as my copy eventually had to go back to the library, having been in my possession for approximately 6 years past it's due date. Thank god for book amnesties is all I can say.

Xavielli Mon 29-May-06 09:34:25

The bob dylan one.... the name eludes me at the moment but v good!

southeastastra Mon 29-May-06 11:28:15

Love is the Drug by John Aizlewood is a great book as its lots of short stories about which groups they loved written by music journalists/musos, its a really good read.

Head on/Repossessed is brill read loads, and Long Time Gone by David Crosby is excellent.

There really are so many music biogs, my other half has tons of them.

katierocket Mon 29-May-06 11:29:16

John Peel one - it's really good

SenoraPostrophe Mon 29-May-06 20:12:16

thanks all. now I have another question - what's with these 1p books on amazon marketplace? is it legit?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: