Talk

Advanced search

Enid Blyton

(20 Posts)
Theresa Thu 25-May-06 20:15:35

Not sure if this thread is meant to include children's books but i figured if you're all readers then your children may be too. I loved Enid Blyton but i suspect the books are prob a bit dated now, however i've just got a mailing from the Book People a series of 10 books featuring 'The Five Find-Outers & Their dog' for £10.00. Does anyone know if the books have been 'updated' a bit or just the titles?

Angeliz Thu 25-May-06 20:20:49

We're reading the Amelia Jane books at the moment. I don't know if they've been updated!

I did have to explain what a coal was tonight though

Rhubarb Thu 25-May-06 20:24:56

'The Five Find-Outers'? Do they mean the famous five? Well how very dare they!

We have the Faraway Tree collection and the children's names in there have been changed from Dick and Fanny to Rick and Frannie, unfortunately my sister hasn't got an updated version and she has to try very hard not to think dirty thoughts as she reads the stories to her 7yo twins!

JackieNo Thu 25-May-06 20:26:24

No - the 'Five find-outers' are not the same as the famous five - though they do include the now less-than-pc 'Fatty' with his wonderful disguises...

Theresa Thu 25-May-06 20:40:13

Great replies so quickly, DD (7) got A big fat Amealia Jane book for her birthday & I'm ashamed to say she ploughed thru it by herself but I got the impression that it was the original stories. Assumed the Five Find Outers must have been the famous five updated! So JackieNo, are they any good?

cheeseypeas Thu 25-May-06 21:08:11

I used to be the proud owner of Enid Blyton's "The Gay Story Book". Would be surprised if that hadn't been updated yet.

bubbles4 Thu 25-May-06 21:13:39

dont know theanswer to your question but was told in local library recently that a lot of enid blyton books are now considered non pc

Pruni Thu 25-May-06 21:33:06

Message withdrawn

JackieNo Thu 25-May-06 22:05:34

I definitely remember them being called 'the Five Find-outers and dog'. Can't really remember much about them, except for Fatty's amazing disguises, that always fooled everybody, even the grown ups.

Bozza Thu 25-May-06 22:07:08

Oh yes the five find outers. Larry and Daisy and Pip and .... Can't remember.

cheeseypeas Thu 25-May-06 22:13:49

I even used to have "Mr Pink Whistle Interphere's". I wish I had these now. I would Ebay them.

JackieNo Thu 25-May-06 22:15:53

No - read them again. I started reading 'First term at Malory Towers' in DD's school library while waiting for her to come out the other day, and was really enjoying it. Darrell, and Alicia, and the 2 French teachers whose names I have now forgotten again. Ooh it takes me back!

moondog Thu 25-May-06 22:18:42

Bloody brill they are.
I buy them up again when I see them in second hand shops.
BTW,'Telegraph' is doing a special offer now of the FF stories on dvd.
I've got the first one in the car. You can have it if you like Theresa?!
We only speak Welsh at home and anyway,my children are a little young..

cheeseypeas Thu 25-May-06 22:19:14

I can remember reading the Faraway Tree and The Wishing Chair.

cheeseypeas Thu 25-May-06 22:21:32

I meant Ebaying some of them for the comedy titles. TBH If I saw a copy of the Far Away Tree or The Wishining Chair would buy for DS.

sparklemagic Thu 25-May-06 22:36:01

I would be really upset if Enid Blyton books are to be 'edited' for PCness. I haven't read every single one obviously and no doubt someone will pop up to say "but theres this completely racist remark in chapter whatever of blah blah" and I am prepared to accept there are things in her books which are attitudes of the time - but kids are not stupid, they can tell when things are 'period pieces' and it is actually interesting to them I think, to realise how different attitudes are nowadays...I enjoyed Enid Blytons even though I never went to boarding school or sailed around places in boats during my summer hols!

Theresa Fri 26-May-06 07:11:48

Moondog, that would be so kind, thank you. I think I'll buy the books and put them away for her birthday. Some great replies!

Theresa Fri 26-May-06 07:13:37

I suppose you'd need to contact me! I'm on bp26jp@tiscali.co.uk.
Thanksagain
Theresa

Majorca Fri 26-May-06 08:35:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anorak Fri 26-May-06 08:38:40

I remember a chapter called 'Dick Gets Everyone Into Trouble'

We used to snigger. Maybe we were more precocious than some!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: