The Elegance of Hedgehog - pretentious twaddle
Tuesdays with Morrie - great
The Woodcutter - really enjoyed
I Capture The Castle - enjoyed
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob Zoet - v hard work
The Hundred Year Old Man - loved
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - loved
The Notable Brain of Maximilian Ponder - ok

I also raced through all the Hunger Games book and Games of Thrones books.

Not a fan of chick lit or gruesome thrillers (detested Jo Nesbo's Snowman for example) but loved Steig Larsson.

Thanks! smile

Got any ideas? Preferably stuff that isn't too pricey to download to Kindle as don't have space to keep buying real books.

OP’s posts: |
RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Thu 30-May-13 23:22:41

I thought I was the only person on here who liked, 'Tuesdays With Morrie.' Have you read,'The Five People You Meet In Heaven' too? It's cheesy but I rather liked it as a v light read.

The Ninth Life of Louis Drax by Liz Jensen is an easy enough read but not trite.
If you liked, 'I Capture The Castle' you might well like, 'Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day' and maybe some Evelyn Waugh (MY favourite is A Handful of Dust but try Brideshead Revisited too).

A Town Like Alice

The Number One Ladies' Detective series - easy reads but feel good and not chick lit

rockybalboa Fri 31-May-13 15:11:12

Loved Brideshead and Ladies Detective Agency (and Scotland Street). Thanks will look into your other suggestions!

OP’s posts: |
PomBearWithAnOFRS Sun 02-Jun-13 00:43:00

The "Watch" quartet might appeal to you - info is here and I just realised there are now 5, and I haven't read the new one, so am off to look for it on amazon grin
I really enjoyed the first four of these, as did my in his early 20s pfb grin

DuchessofMalfi Sun 02-Jun-13 06:51:05

Recent reads for me have been The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters. You might like that - quite creepy. The Silver Linings Playbook - I didn't like it but it is a quick read. The Color Purple by Alice Walker. Just fabulous.

highlandcoo Sun 02-Jun-13 18:23:20

The Observations by Jane Harris. ( I defy anyone not to enjoy this book! )

Also The Restraint of Beasts by Magnus Mills, The Girl on the Landing by Paul Torday, and Skinny Dip by Karl Hiassen .. all quirky and blackly humorous in places.

bimblebee Tue 04-Jun-13 10:08:41

Best books I have read in the past 6 months are

Black is the Colour by Helen Howe
As Far As You Can Go by Lesley Glaister

Both are psychological/mystery with a literary edge and currently both are less than £2 on Kindle.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in