Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Birdsong - tell me about it (but don't tell me what happens!)

(31 Posts)
MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Sun 26-May-13 21:57:37

Been on my shelf for a while, started reading it today. Only about 30 pages in, but enjoying it so far. It's not how I expected it to be, but no doubt the storyline will change.

Is it as good as all the reviews? Did you enjoy it (if enjoy is the right word).

But please don't tell me what happens!

Off to bed early to read some more, will see what anyone thinks tomorrow.

TIA

hamsternumber1 Sun 26-May-13 21:58:49

The sex is good grin

PseudoBadger Sun 26-May-13 21:58:59

Um not much I can say then! Yes I enjoyed it, and it's sad...

MsWazowski Sun 26-May-13 21:59:51

One of my favourite ever books.

exoticfruits Sun 26-May-13 22:11:08

I would count it as one of my best books ever.

maillotjaune Mon 27-May-13 09:53:43

The war bits are described beautifully but frankly most of the rest of it is dross. Most disappointing read of an overhyped book ever.

looselegs Mon 27-May-13 12:24:01

have to agree with maillot I'm afraid-was very disappointed.Sorry !

ExcuseTypos Mon 27-May-13 12:28:35

One of my fav books.

The descriptions of fighting in the trenches is amazing, uplifting and very sad.

ifancyashandy Mon 27-May-13 12:30:39

Wonderful book. Evocative, emotional, difficult and wonderfully written. Read it about 4 times.

GoodbyePorkPie Mon 27-May-13 17:19:59

Incredible book. All of ifancyashandy's adjectives are bang on the money. I've also read it a few times.

If you like it you might enjoy Charlotte Grey and the other one in the trilogy, The Girl at the Lion d'Or.

lurcherlover Mon 27-May-13 17:22:50

I teach it for A level Lit. Personally I find the sex a bit cringey (or maybe that's just because I read it with teenagers grin) but once the war kicks in it gets a lot better.

JackieTheFart Mon 27-May-13 21:49:00

I found it one of the most boring books I've ever read, so much so that I can barely remember any of it. I have read another of his (On Green Dolphin Street) which was equally as tedious.

Shame as I normally really enjoy war stories.

2tired2bewitty Mon 27-May-13 21:54:46

As others have said, the descriptions of war are very powerful. He can't write female characters at all though!

Plus3 Mon 27-May-13 22:01:26

Really enjoyed it, but loathed Charlotte Gray

Plus3 Mon 27-May-13 22:01:47

Grey - sorry!

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Tue 28-May-13 10:36:08

Thank you all for your replies - quite a mixed bunch! Just shows how we're all different with different tastes.

I've got to the part with Elizabeth in the 1970s, still enjoying it, but I don't think it's going to get onto my top 10 favourites of all time.

Jackie I've also got On Green Dolphin Street on my shelf, I don't feel tempted to read it now!

JackieTheFart Wed 29-May-13 15:03:37

Sorry! grin

I'm sure once you get to the end of Birdsong you'll know if the style is for you. I actually read all the way to the end of On Green Dolphin Street, I normally give up if I don't like it.

I was so bored!

ElectricSoftParade Wed 29-May-13 15:08:38

I loved this book. Just loved it.

And, I was lucky enough to win tickets for the stage production after The Lovely Sebastian was on here for a webchat smile.

I remember reading it when I was commuting to London, it seemed as though every other person was reading it too.

CinnabarRed Wed 29-May-13 15:22:00

I'm trying to remember the author of a set of books whose titles I also can't remember - set in WW1, a psychiatrist helping soldiers traumatised by their experiences in the trenches, including Siegfried Sassoon (I think). Any suggestions?

sassytheFIRST Wed 29-May-13 15:26:37

The war stuff is great - he imagines the unimaginable in a v powerful way. And it is (rightly) devastating.

The rest is okaaay. But the little old guy in the home whod been there for years...hmm

Lilymaid Wed 29-May-13 15:33:18

CinnabarRed
Are you thinking of Pat Barker's Regeneration Trilogy: Regeneration/ The Eye in the Door/The Ghost Road?

GoodbyePorkPie Wed 29-May-13 15:45:27

Yes that sounds like the Pat Barker trilogy. I only read Regeneration, I remember it being good but I wasn't compelled to read any more.

CinnabarRed Wed 29-May-13 16:29:11

Yes! Thank you. Read them as a teenager, sobbed throughout, then vowed never to even pick them up again as too distressing.

CinnabarRed Wed 29-May-13 16:37:34

And, while you're at it, can you help me with this one?

Set during WWII, there were interweaving stories about two little orphaned Jewish boys hidden in France but ultimately betrayed and sent to the death camps, and British service men and women. The last chapter contrasted the lead female character walking into the dark of a church for a wedding and the poor little boys walking into the dark of the gas chamber, without even a parent for comfort.

Another one that I read too young to properly process and which I can't think of without crying.

ProphetOfDoom Wed 29-May-13 16:38:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now