Talk

Advanced search

Les Miserables - the book, not the film.

(16 Posts)
zebedeethezebra Tue 14-May-13 14:36:30

Struggling with it. Up to page 2700ish out of 3440 (on the ipad) and feel like I've wasted the last 4 months reading it. The first part was brilliant. Then he rambles on and on about stuff which has nothing to do with the story. Is it worth finishing??

Bogeyface Tue 14-May-13 20:25:58

I worked sooo hard on that book, and didnt manage to finish it. I still go back sometimes, 5 years later (first started reading on that 100 Classic Books thing on the Nintendo DS!) it is still no better.

I am the PITA that insists that the books are always better than the film/play/musical. But in this case I take my hat off to whoever first trawled through that book in order to make sense of it as a musical!

Bogeyface Tue 14-May-13 20:26:23

Sorry, in answer to your question....no idea!

AgentProvocateur Tue 14-May-13 20:28:15

Hmm, I've downloaded it and was going to read it on holiday. Maybe I won't bother...

Bogeyface Tue 14-May-13 20:29:39

Well unless you are taking a ten year holiday I would take something less taxing and time consuming, like War and Peace grin

RedlipsAndSlippers Tue 14-May-13 20:32:12

I've read it, fantastic book, cried twice on the train blush
I know he goes on a bit on some random tangents (Parisian sewage systems?) but the story itself is so involving and emotional, and has so many threads that I'd seriously contemplate reading it again, even though it's sooooo long! Don't give up!

MrsRickyMartin Tue 14-May-13 20:34:26

I've read it when I was 16 years old, amazing book, it is worth finishing.

eland Tue 14-May-13 20:37:46

It's absolutely beautifully written, BUT you mustn't feel guilty about skipping the crazy digressions about The Battle of Waterloo / Sewers / nuns.

Seriously, those bits are utterly bonkers and out of place.

The story is amazing, Valjean is one of my favourite literary characters, and it's a revelation to find out that Marius is a total wanker / bastard.

FlightyAphrodite Tue 14-May-13 20:51:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bogeyface Tue 14-May-13 21:17:34

Could someone who has read it give a "skip page X to page Y" guide please?!

I would love to finish it but the random bits do for me every time!

TwoFourSixOhOne Tue 14-May-13 21:19:13

Marius is a wanker? I've only seen the film (philistine). Say it isn't so?

MuseumOfHam Wed 15-May-13 20:50:57

Just finished it. Phew! Loved and hated it in equal measure. Cheated a lot - skipped over the Battle of Waterloo, some nonsense about street urchins, (I did read the nun bit though), various long political speeches by minor characters, the history of the Paris sewerage system... Loved the main characters and found the main storyline very compelling and moving. My goodness, he needed a good editor though. Sorry Bogeyface, can't provide a page guide, I just kept tapping my Kindle and skimming my eye down the page until one of the main character's names appeared so I'd know we were heading back into the proper story.

AgentProvocateur Wed 15-May-13 20:54:28

Bogeyface, thanks for the advice. I'll keep it on my Kindle in case I'm ever kidnapped by pirates for a long time, and download something shorter for my holidays.

PeggyCarter Wed 15-May-13 20:56:17

MrsWolowitz Wed 15-May-13 20:59:55

mimbleandlittlemy Thu 16-May-13 12:41:54

I do think it depends on the translation. Which one are you reading? I think the absolute best is the Penguin Classics one by Norman Denny. Read it in a week because I really, really couldn't put it down and it's one of my all time favourite books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now