Talk

Advanced search

to think that Amy March is one of the most irritating literary characters ever.

(345 Posts)
squoosh Sun 21-Apr-13 17:22:03

God she annoys me, throwing Jo's book in the fire, being a general brat and then sin of sins marrying Laurie when she had no business do any such thing.

I don't care what the subsequent books may say the Amy/Laurie union was a stupid idea.

They should have left her to drown in the icy river.

HappydaysArehere Tue 21-Mar-17 09:52:03

Amy was a selfish little girl. She used words incorrectly in an effort to sound knowledgeable and grown up. She was also intent on acting the "young lady". That is why Aunt March got on with her and why Jo was sidelined as a companion for Europe. She was also an artist. As she grew up she adopted the sophistication that (as Jo knew) was what Laurie needed in a wife. Jo insisted they were never suited as a married couple. She made some remark about he would have hated her "scribbling" and something about him that would have got on her nerves. All in all, Amy was a character who provided some laughs and a foil for the general sweetness of the rest of the family. The March family are my favourite literary characters and I cannot ageee with any word said against any of them.

Deathraystare Tue 14-Feb-17 14:44:15

For some reason Iliked the Katy books though still found them rather twee.

Deathraystare Tue 14-Feb-17 14:43:22

I thought Little Women was a vile twee book. I met a woman who had two daughters and wanted two more to name after the characters. Jeez.

AmeliaPeabody Mon 13-Feb-17 13:02:58

Is it Clover that contains Katy's marriage? I think it might be.

AmeliaPeabody Mon 13-Feb-17 12:59:56

Oh no, sorry, I didn't think you were. grin

They're worth reading, in a way, I think. Though I think they're shadows of the other books. The girls seem to take pleasure in Lilly's misfortunes, I thought, and poor Dorry (not considered bright) is a figure of fun to them. etc The ending is rather twee in High Valley too. I'd be interested to hear what others thought.

Trills Mon 13-Feb-17 12:36:39

Katy appears in them but they are not ABOUT Katy, she's a minor character. I wasn't trying to suggest that she'd died or anything! grin

AmeliaPeabody Mon 13-Feb-17 12:30:44

Bad typing there, am using phone!

AmeliaPeabody Mon 13-Feb-17 12:29:26

Katy does appear in those two books though. They're mainly about Clover and Elsie. I think it was with good reason they remained out of print for so long, I was very disappointed with the characters and the story.
There's also Nine Little Goslings which contains a story about Johnnie.

Trills Mon 13-Feb-17 09:54:40

The Katy books are:

What Katy Did (fell off a swing, tried to be like saintly cousin Helen)
What Katy Did At School (made a priggish society for good behaviour, did not wave at boys at all)
What Katy Did Next (went round Europe as someone's companion, marvelled at how cheap flowers were)

BUT THEN there are two that are not about Katy

Clover
In The High Valley

cannot describe them, you should read this article

@mumof3men - did you know that there is a third Katy book - What Katy Did at School?

I love the Louisa M Alcott books, and LM Montgomery and Susan Coolidge - and I feel a book marathon coming on!

gincamelbak Sat 11-Feb-17 20:47:55

I hated Beth. I would have been the bad sister who couldn't be bothered to sit and listen to her witter on being Saintly and Good. I was pleased when she FINALLY died as she was a bit of a wimp who gave up and was a burden on her family.

<exhaled deeply. Weight of disliking Beth finally lifts from shoulders>

Chottie Sat 11-Feb-17 20:33:35

Does any one else read Monica Dicken's novels?

I found Kate and Emma very difficult to read with the theme of child abuse.

Chottie Sat 11-Feb-17 20:29:23

I remember reading The Swish of the Curtain, I just could not put it down and read it in one go and ended up doing my homework at some ungodly hour of night

MsAmerica Sat 11-Feb-17 20:04:37

Okay, but wouldn't you also agree that:
-To have four lovable sisters might be a little wearing?
-For the youngest to be rather vain and spoiled might be logical?
-By the time of the marriage, Amy would have grown into a more "womanly" character. according to the fiction of the time?
-The marriage probably wasn't so far-fetched, given society at the time?

reuset Sat 04-Feb-17 11:31:50

Oh old thread. Seeker hasn't returned after all.

multivac Sat 04-Feb-17 11:19:45

<penny drops>

I had NO idea that Little Women and Good Wives were ever published as a single volume; that bit in Friends has always irritated me, and now it makes sense!

So glad someone revived this thread. I can finally move on.

KingscoteStaff Sat 04-Feb-17 11:13:21

I am currently being irritated by Camilla Macauley in The Secret History.

Trills Sat 04-Feb-17 11:05:55

A timeless thread grin

In the US, the first two volumes (Little Women and Good WIves) are usually published in one book.

So Joey read it and Beth did die, but if you have a UK version that is just the first bit, Beth will not have died yet when you get to "the end".

It's pretty clear that she will though, she's just generally "delicate" and useless and boring

reuset Sat 04-Feb-17 11:04:36

There's a huge Noel Streatfeild thread in children's books. Not trying to get rid of people, just thought it might be of interest. grin

reuset Sat 04-Feb-17 10:58:46

I preferred Amy with gumption at the beginning of the first book. The transformation into more saintly Amy I never did like. Typical of novels of that era though.
Same with Katy. Think somebody mentioned Katy

KingscoteStaff Sat 04-Feb-17 10:54:25

It's interesting, Amy used to drive me mad too, but the recent Radio 4 adaptation must have softened her corners a bit.

Or maybe I'm getting more tolerant. <surely not>

MrsFrederickWentworth Sat 27-Apr-13 20:08:42

Wasn't she based on someone he fell in love with whom he then turned into Flora Finching. Who was extremely silly. But it is a cruel portrait.

I don't think Catherine ever had that lightness of touch.

BalloonSlayer Sat 27-Apr-13 07:38:56

I think Dora is supposed to be annoying, just not quite as annoying as she actually is.

She is David Copperfield's "child-wife" signifying his lack of maturity. She isn't mature enough to be a proper wife, and he isn't grown up enough to realise this and they get into a real mess domestically, with her unable to do the accounts etc, wailing that the numbers "just won't add up." God, she' s PATHETIC urgh!

I think DC's possibly unexpressed homosexual obsession with Steerforth is one of the reasons why DC can't find himself a "real woman" to have a full relationship with until after Steerforth has died.
(Although Dora has been pregnant so there has at least been a sexual relationship, because without that reference you'd wonder, you'd imagine that stupid dog getting in the way or something.)

I wonder whether Dora was based on Dickens own wife whom he seemed embarrassed by.

KingscoteStaff Fri 26-Apr-13 22:37:21

Yes, yes, the picnic, and Ann staying at home just in case the parents phoned.

And I desperately wanted to be Nicola riding into town and being seen by Esther!

Won't hear a word against Patrick. Tim and Laurie were the first ambiguous characters I remember reading - until then everyone was a goodie or baddie. That moment when Tim is snippy with Nick took me to a completely new level of reading.

RedHelenB Fri 26-Apr-13 17:53:32

www.maulu.demon.co.uk

Gives chapter summaries - very useful for jogging your memory!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now