Talk

Advanced search

Books about gay theatre life in 50s/60s please

(10 Posts)
SilkStalkings Thu 03-Jan-13 10:03:49

Just been listening to Kooks by David Bowie and thinking this would be a great novel. Any suggestions?
Tia.

Takver Thu 03-Jan-13 11:41:08

Not exactly, but what about Absolute Beginners trilogy (AB, City of Spades, Mr Love & Justice) by Colin Macinnes

seeker Thu 03-Jan-13 11:42:28

I know a fantastic book about gay trapeze artists if that's any use......

RobertPatrick Sun 06-Jan-13 04:22:49

NOVEL ABOUT GAY THEATRE IN THE 1960S www.lulu.com/shop/robert-patrick/temple-slave/paperback/product-14710156.html

RobertPatrick Sun 06-Jan-13 04:24:08

NOVEL ABOUT GAY THEATRE IN THE 1960S www.lulu.com/shop/robert-patrick/temple-slave/paperback/product-14710156.html
Totally romanticized fiction recreating the atmosphere of the first days of underground or Off-Off Broadway theater in New York in the 1960s. ANNOTATED EDITION. Highly adult content. "...you must read this book. It draws such a tragic, and, in a way, noble portrait of Mr. Buono. It leads the reader, almost against his will, into a deep sympathy with this strange man who tried to comfort, to encourage and to feed both the worthy and the worthless...it is impossible not to mourn for this man--impossible not to praise this book." (Quentin Crisp)

SilkStalkings Sun 06-Jan-13 12:50:58

Oooooh! Swinging New York will do!

gatheringlilac Sun 06-Jan-13 21:35:52

Silkstalkings - that is a great question (though I can see you're happy with the offer of 60s off-broadway).

No-one seems to have written a biography of Lindsay Kemp, or a book about that whole era and cultural area in Britain. I was searching the internet a short while ago, after having read a whole bundle of 60s counter-cultural "lives".

Definitely a gap.

SilkStalkings Mon 07-Jan-13 07:25:17

Yes it was probably his appearance in last week's Bowie documentary that started my train of thought. I want to be taken there! Shy young queer moves to swinging London and finds a whole new world, mentors, a manual for how to get away with it all and not be arrested, the catty quips, the theatre luvvies, double lives, Palare, raids on public loos, 'the whole rough & tumble of homosexual life' to quote Father Ted.grin

MurielTheActor Mon 07-Jan-13 12:14:09

Bowie's London Boys could be good writing trigger and also watching Velvet Goldmine (which I love smile )
This is my youth - I would totally read it!

PomBearWithAnOFRS Mon 07-Jan-13 22:43:35

Not specifically about Gay Theatre scene, but Pip Granger's first four novels are set in and around Soho in the 50s, they are semi-autobiographical, and some of her characters are involved in the club and theatre scene. They are also great novels, funny and sad and with good plots, and ever so well written too. Her actualy autobiography is called "Alone" and the novels are "Not All Tarts are Apple" and "The Widow Ginger", with "Trouble in Paradise" as a side story so to speak, and "No Peace for the Wicked" following on several years after Widow Ginger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now