Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Oh mighty power of Mumsnet! Need book inspiration for 18 year old DS

(12 Posts)
FlibberdeGibbet Wed 05-Dec-12 18:04:08

I would like to get my Ds a couple of stocking filler books. He enjoyed the Dan Brown shite, and also enjoys a good political thriller on TV - so I am looking for books that are well written, with maybe a political or topical theme, IYSWIM.

Any suggestions, you wise lot!

EugenesAxeChoppedDownANiceTree Wed 05-Dec-12 18:13:35

Well.... I love The Pillars Of The Earth - that has consensual and non-consensual sex, violence, pillaging, corruption, redemption and cathedral church construction in large quantities. I have never met anyone who didn't like it.

My husband likes David Baldacci and all that popular wank - the Conn Iggleden series about Ghengis Khan and I think Caesar went down well with him.

TheElfOnThePanopticon Wed 05-Dec-12 19:19:57

DP is currently reading a library book with a review on the back saying "Like Dan Brown, if Dan Brown could actually write". I will find out what it is and if it's any good.

TheElfOnThePanopticon Wed 05-Dec-12 19:21:39

How does he feel about Scandi crime novels? That might be a good place to start if he likes TV thrillers.

Roseformeplease Wed 05-Dec-12 19:23:42

Try "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" or "The Blackhouse" is amazing. I too enjoyed "Pillars of the Earth". What about the Robert Harris books? Or Michael Crichton?

highlandcoo Wed 05-Dec-12 20:11:58

William Boyd is excellent. Ordinary Thunderstorms is a thriller set in present-day London; Restless is also good featuring a woman spy in WW2.

I agree with Robert Harris, especially The Ghost, Enigma, and Fatherland. If he's studied WW2 at school the last two would be particularly interesting.

PotteringAlong Wed 05-Dec-12 20:14:11

Jurrasic Park is a good book

The Dice Man - Luke Rheinhart

Gotta be 'A Clockwork Orange.'
Maybe some sci-fi classics like 'Day Of The Triffids' etc?
Maybe '1984' or 'Animal Farm.'
CJ Sansom's 'Dominion' is interesting and pretty gripping - set in a Britain in which Germany won the 2nd WW.
'This Brutal Art' is a pretty well written thriller but I've forgotten who it's by - somebody Kellerman I think. It IS pretty brutal though.

FlibberdeGibbet Wed 05-Dec-12 23:19:19

Nice ideas - thanks!

SavoirFaire Wed 05-Dec-12 23:26:16

Robert Harris a good suggestion. I loved his early ones (I read when I was about 18) but have not loved is later ones - i am not sure if that is my age or his writing deteriorating. William Boyd and Stiegsson also good suggestions but will depend on what they're into. Also maybe Ian McEwan - Sweet Tooth maybe. White Teeth, Zadie Smith or for a classic, Three Men in a Boat is fun, quite short and an easy read. DH read all of these around that age, as did I

tiggy114 Thu 06-Dec-12 14:28:37

Who said jurrassic park? Cracking book. Infact many michael crichton books are. Lost world (2nd jurrasic parkbook) is also very good.

bimblebee Thu 06-Dec-12 15:04:27

My nephew read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time when he was about 16/17 and loved it despite not normally being an avid reader.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now