Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The Forgotten Garden

(9 Posts)
BloominMisteltoeMarvellousWine Sat 01-Dec-12 16:17:41

Ok, I've seen this on Amazon and seen it mentioned on here.

Two questions:

Is it good?

What type of books do you enjoy?

BloominMisteltoeMarvellousWine Sat 01-Dec-12 22:20:12

Anyone?

Celticlassie Sat 01-Dec-12 23:06:53

I've not read it yet, but loved The House at Riverton, and liked her other two. Planning to read this one over Christmas.

BOFingSanta Sat 01-Dec-12 23:08:05

It was great. I loved it.

LittleMachine Sun 02-Dec-12 13:09:16

I read it a few years ago and loved it but I think it would be a spoiler if I said why.
My mum hated it though.

Clawdy Sun 02-Dec-12 19:39:00

It's a good,light read,with some intriguing twists and turns.

babybythesea Sun 02-Dec-12 19:40:19

I loved it and so did my sister.

I liked the weaving together of different periods of history to make a coherant story.
I thought it was well written and easy to read but not too 'fluffy'.

I'm not sure if saying what I enjoy would be that relevant or helpful for you though - it's quite eclectic! I like everything from classics (currently reading Henry James) to history (both historical fiction like Philippa Gregory and fact stuff like Antonia Fraser), I adore Bill Bryson and I love natural history and 'popular science' books!
In terms of fiction I'm not a fan of Mills and Boon style stuff, Cecelia Aherne left me cold, I dislike Jodi Picault and I really don't like Sarah Waters. But I love Jasper Fforde, I love most of the classics (although Middlemarch was not to my taste), I enjoy Kate Atkinson, I love Vikram Seth (especially An Equal Music), I loved The Help and I love a book called "The Map of Love" by Ahdaf Soueif.

Is that any help??!!!

highlandcoo Sun 02-Dec-12 21:10:36

To quote Abraham Lincoln : "People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like." grin

Not really my thing, but then I'm weary of granddaughters and the like finding some old book or letter and delving into past lives which are then interwoven with the present day. Such an overused device IMO. Tell me one story, tell it chronologically and tell it well .. please ..

I do enjoy books with a really good plot, generally set in other countries or other time periods, often with a political/social theme. I want them to be individual and memorable as well as intelligently written.

Favourite authors:

Rose Tremain: Restoration, Music and Silence, The Road Home

Rohinton Mistry : A Fine Balance

Jane Harris : The Observations

Sue Gee : Earth and Heaven

Barry Unsworth : Sacred Hunger

Iain Banks : Crow Road, Espedair Street

Ann Patchett : Bel Canto, State of Wonder

Also Jane Austen, Arnold Bennett, George Eliot and loads more smile

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 03-Dec-12 12:04:40

I loved the Forgotten Garden, I would definitley recommend it. I do love time slip books though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now