Talk

Advanced search

Can you recommend a good 'spooky' book for my mum?

(15 Posts)
rainbowriver Sat 03-Nov-12 08:55:00

She likes a good story, few twists, ghost story in old manor house type of thing?

Thanks!

Sheila Sat 03-Nov-12 10:42:58

How about The Small Hand by Susan Hill - a genuinely chilling supernatural story? I loved it - very well written.

DuchessofMalfi Sat 03-Nov-12 13:05:36

Or The Woman in Black by Susan Hill? Really spooky, gave me chills.

It's not a ghost story but The Woman In White is v scary and atmospheric and perfect for a cold Autumn evening. The Moonstone by same writer (Wilkie Collins) is set in a manor house and is a creepy-ish who-dunnit type with no ghosts but again just right for this time of year!

I don't like The Woman In Black as I think it's predictable and cliched but lots of people find it v creepy.

Poe's The Telltale Heart is a short story but great fun and she might also like The Turn Of The Screw (but I hated it).

Salem's Lot?
Dracula?

Fadqueen Sat 03-Nov-12 16:33:40

Dark Matter by Michelle Paver is a really chilling read. I think I enjoyed it but it scared the bejesus out of me. Had to resort to reading in daylight hours.

There's another I've read and enjoyed but sadly I can't remember the name of author or title. I'm only 43..... God help me!

Will repost when I remember.

Fadqueen Sat 03-Nov-12 16:37:40

Oh and I've just read, this afternoon in fact, The Greatcoat by Helen Dunmore.

I wouldn't recommend as a chilling read. The fact that I finished reading it less than 2 hours before posting above and failed to mention it should say it all!

SucksToBeScaryMe Sat 03-Nov-12 16:42:56

Can i mark my place? I will head off to the libary with a list tomorrow.

Fadqueen Sat 03-Nov-12 16:46:55

Just remembered! It was Sarah Waters, The Little Stranger.
Loved it.

rainbowriver Sat 03-Nov-12 16:55:53

Thank you all! I will have a look on Amazon later, yes loved the Little Stranger too, though she has read that one.

DuchessofMalfi Sat 03-Nov-12 17:35:12

The Greatcoat isn't the slightest bit spooky. An interesting read but doesn't work as a ghost story at all imo.

I found 'Dark Matter' v disappointing - but I keep saying that, so I won't say it again now!

I do wish there were more really good books of this type: I really fancy reading some.

Vev Sat 03-Nov-12 19:19:08

Ghosts of Sleath, Haunted, The Magic Cottage, brilliant spooky stories set in England by James Herbert.

The Woman in Black is a good read.

bottleofbeer Sat 03-Nov-12 20:49:02

Naomi's Room. It's out of print but you can probably get a copy on Amazon - but even as a used book you're probably looking at about a tenner though.

StrawWars Sun 04-Nov-12 11:00:11

House of Echoes by Barbara Erskine?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now