Talk

Advanced search

Short stories compilation recommendations

(11 Posts)
PervyMuskrat Thu 01-Nov-12 21:57:12

I'm reading Terry Pratchett "A Blink of the Screen" currently and I forgot how much I love short story compilations.

I've since gone a bit OTT and have bought a collection of Grimms' fairy tales, Rip van Winkle and other stories, and a George RR Martin collection.

Any other recommendations ? I also have compilations by Stephen King, Charlaine Harris, Neil Gaiman and John Connelly...

iklboo Thu 01-Nov-12 21:58:40

Clive Barker's Books of Blood are a pretty good read.

MegBusset Thu 01-Nov-12 22:00:38

Raymond Carver - all his compilations are amazing.

EdithPiaffislucky Thu 01-Nov-12 22:02:36

Scott Fitzgerald. Absolutely brilliant.

PervyMuskrat Thu 01-Nov-12 22:06:08

I think I read the first Book of Blood years ago but can't remember much about it. Is it out and out horror, or more "normal things turning into horrible things" type horror ?

Checking out Raymond Carver now...

iklboo Thu 01-Nov-12 22:09:07

I think it's pretty out & out horror <dusts memory banks>.

CarpeThingy Thu 01-Nov-12 22:10:53

There's an Irish writer called Kevin Barry who has a couple of collections out (as well as a novel). I think they're fantastic.

PervyMuskrat Thu 01-Nov-12 22:16:11

Excellent, I do like a bit of good horror!

Also checking out Kevin Barry. I can see my Christmas book list getting longer already grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 04-Nov-12 12:14:23

Just marking my place....

porridgewithalmondmilk Mon 05-Nov-12 22:09:17

Patrick Gale's 'Dangerous Pleasures' - really enjoyed these. Not quite supernatural, but not quite not, either ... all with a theme of being on the 'edge' somehow, of danger or evil.

maillotjaune Wed 07-Nov-12 23:43:37

Colm Toibin's Mothers and Sons is good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now