Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone identify this short story?

(8 Posts)
KellyMarieTunstall Sun 28-Oct-12 22:01:16

Its an old fashioned story.

Its title is something like "The churchwarden" or similar but I havent yet found a story by that name. I seem to recall its by one of the popular male writers of the early/mid 20th century but try as I might the name escapes me. I have even resorted to looking through lists of authors to no avail.

The theme is an old man who had been working in a church yard(possibly digging graves etc) and with hard work managed to work his way up to owning (a chain?) of shop/s. At the end of the story he was asked to read something(?) and he confessed that he couldnt read . Then he was asked what he could have made of himself if he had been able to read. The answer was that he would have remained a churchwarden(or whatever it was).

Does anyone know what Im talking about?

ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Sun 28-Oct-12 22:06:13

Is it this?

KellyMarieTunstall Sun 28-Oct-12 22:11:02

Not that one MM -but thank you for looking.

Its a very similar sounding story but only quite short .I remember reading it aloud to someone and it only took about 10/15 minutes.

ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Sun 28-Oct-12 22:13:01

this?

KellyMarieTunstall Sun 28-Oct-12 22:37:03

Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you,Thank you
thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

Verger ! I couldnt think of an alternative word.

How did you find the story MM?

TheOriginalSteamingNit Sun 28-Oct-12 22:39:33

That was a Tale of the Bleeding Predictable, poss Richard Briars in the main part.

ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Sun 28-Oct-12 23:14:28

I am just an expert googler, what can I tell you? grin I searched for illiterate church short story , or something like that.

<preen>

KellyMarieTunstall Sun 28-Oct-12 23:36:04

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now