Talk

Advanced search

Patrick Gale - A perfectly good man - Please help.

(19 Posts)
CuriousMama Sat 20-Oct-12 21:46:53

Just sad

I found this so heartwarming and funny in parts. And now it's so sad. This is the fourth book in a row that's had me in tears!

Please please can someone recommend one that's funny. I don't mind realism but am sick of crying over a book.

crazy88 Sun 21-Oct-12 13:59:21

The Tent, the Bucket and Me by Emma Kennedy. Will cheer you up no end. smile

CuriousMama Sun 21-Oct-12 14:02:04

Thanks so much I need it! smile

I finished APGM last night and must say it is a fantastic book but had me weeping.

crazy88 Sun 21-Oct-12 20:24:22

Can't cope with weepy things either atm. Just read The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton and loved it but v v sad. Was going to read APGM but you've put me off now, annoying cos I loved A Sweet Obscurity by him. smile

0liverb0liverbuttface Sun 21-Oct-12 20:26:44

India Knight - My Life On A Plate or Don't You Want Me.

Flippityjig Mon 22-Oct-12 12:50:36

Yes, I loved those two by India Knight, although none of her others (which aren't fiction). If you love dogs, try and get hold of Diana Cooper "Animal Hotel", not sure if it's still in print, very funny.

silverdragonfly Mon 22-Oct-12 13:23:34

I found this book almost too sad to continue with at one point, although I've read other stuff by PG and not been as moved. It made me want to read a comedy afterwards too. I read the Guilty One afterwards, which wasn't exactly cheerful but was gripping in a different way.

CuriousMama Mon 22-Oct-12 15:17:13

Have any of you read The Other Hand? I was distraught after that! Very well written though.

Thanks for the other recommendations, and I adore dogs smile

CuriousMama Mon 22-Oct-12 15:22:20

Just ordered the Tent and Animal hotel from the online library smile

CuriousMama Mon 22-Oct-12 15:22:39

And the India Knight one's are in stock I'll get them next time.

Flippityjig Mon 22-Oct-12 18:14:15

Ooh, CuriousMama, glad you were able to order Animal Hotel at the library,let me know what you think? It's my favourite "feel good" book because it makes me smile and laugh.

I don't know the Tent, will have a look online now?

CuriousMama Mon 22-Oct-12 18:37:45

It's the Tent my bucket and me. Was animal hotel made into a movie?

Flippityjig Mon 22-Oct-12 19:44:11

Not that I'm aware of.

Have you read The Queen and I by Sue Townsend? And her other books,all quite funny.

There's a sequel to Animal Hotel too, called Up To Scratch, also quite funny.

CuriousMama Mon 22-Oct-12 22:24:06

Thanks for that I like Sue Townsend.

KeithLeMonde Tue 23-Oct-12 12:33:57

If you need a funny book as some kind of therapy after a really heartbreaking one, I don't think you can beat Jeeves.

CuriousMama Thu 25-Oct-12 11:26:38

Animal hotel and The Tent the bucket and me are here smile I felt sad when I saw Animal hotel hadn't been borrowed since 1998 though shock

Never heard of Jeeves?

Flippityjig Thu 25-Oct-12 20:25:23

I hope you enjoy it :-)

Never heard of Jeeves either.

OovoofWelcome Thu 25-Oct-12 20:28:21

Jeeves and Wooster - PG Wodehouse :-)

KeithLeMonde Thu 25-Oct-12 21:35:46

Thank you Oovoof - sorry I wasn't clear! I thought everyone knew Jeeves smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now