Talk

Advanced search

Recommend a book that wll make me feel....

(19 Posts)
libertychick Fri 19-Oct-12 15:23:34

happy, inspired, like the world is a wonderful place! I am desperately in need of a good laugh and a reminder that the world really is a great place. So tell me the books that have made you roar with laughter and feel kindly towards all your fellow beings. smile

Bill Bryson always makes me howl with laughter.

ninjanurse Fri 19-Oct-12 16:35:21

The comedian Alan Carr's autobiography had me crying with laughter.

WowOoo Fri 19-Oct-12 16:37:10

Alan Partridge's biography made me laugh more than any book ever has.

maudpringle Fri 19-Oct-12 17:02:17

Bill Bryson smile

Parisbanana Fri 19-Oct-12 17:02:40

Bill Bryson sprang to mind for me too, although it is quite some time since I read any of his stuff. " The Lost Continent" had me laughing form the first page.

Think i might have to reread as I'm fed up with disappointing books...

Francagoestohollywood Fri 19-Oct-12 17:17:44

Diary of a provincial lady by E.M.Delafield

'The Lost Continent' is hilarious - I still remember a line about a polecat which had me screaming in glee. smile

And there is a bit with a dog in the Australian one which is hilarious. Bryson is the king of self deprecating one-liners.

libertychick Sat 20-Oct-12 08:03:16

Thank you! I had completely forgotten about Bill Bryson. I did read some of his years ago but enough of a time lag to make it worth a reread.

Bio's of funny people also a good idea. And diary of a provincial woman sounds interesting.

Any other ideas?

SoggyMoggy Sat 20-Oct-12 08:46:30

Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Prattchett. It's hilarious and charming. It's one of my go to pickmeup books.

ThickCut Sat 20-Oct-12 08:49:01

I recommend any Danny Wallace book but especially friends like these or yes man

iismum Sat 20-Oct-12 08:49:25

Sorry to harp on a theme, but Bill Bryson's factual ones are fab too - am thinking of his latest one about the home, plus his history of everything one. These are also laugh-out-loud funny and charming, but also make you feel like you're learning loads of fascinating/useful stuff

When I'm in need of a comfort read, I usually turn to Georgette Heyer - funny, v easy to read and gives you a warm fuzzy feeling.

Phineyj Sat 20-Oct-12 08:50:21

Caitlin Moran - her new collection of columns from the Times "Moranology" is cheering me up greatly.

iismum Sat 20-Oct-12 08:52:20

Oh, and I second Good Omens. Also, good children's stuff - esp. F. H. Burnett, The Little Prince, etc. Not usually lol funny but def make the world seem a wonderful place.

cupcakefairy Sat 20-Oct-12 08:52:35

Yy to Danny Wallace Yes Man & Friends Like These, both v funny & v feelgood.

Dawn French's autobiog is v good, if you like her kind of humour!

Maamaa Sat 20-Oct-12 14:32:22

If you like chick lit Catherine Alliot makes me guffaw on the bus! Not good! Bryson fab too

libertychick Sat 20-Oct-12 22:01:14

For the princely sum of £6.18 I have just purchased 3 Bill Bryson books - God I love Amazon! Have wish listed most of the other recommendations on this list.

Good point iismum about children's literature. I have been reading Gretchen Rubin 'The Happiness Project' and one of the things she did was set up a book club focused on children's literature. So I am going to start rereading all those amazing books from childhood.

gokhuvegeta Sun 21-Oct-12 01:39:30

Shut up and kiss me- ( that's not an offer )- the things that happen to the brother had me crying with laughter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now