Talk

Advanced search

Wolf hall

(15 Posts)
Slothlorien Thu 18-Oct-12 19:10:27

I know it has many fans and I had high hopes. But. It is proving too much for my sleep deprived brain. I can't work out who's who, who's speaking, whats going on!! Is it just me? Does it get more reader friendly? And why does it mention the kings 'diaper' holder
? Presuming loo roll, but would they have had this word in Tudor times?!

hackmum Thu 18-Oct-12 19:44:12

When she says "he", she always means Cromwell unless it's made obvious that it's someone else.

Can't remember the diaper holder, unfortunately!

maillotjaune Thu 18-Oct-12 19:46:35

You will get used to it. I was forewarned so got into it quite quickly.

I don't remember the diaper holder but would assume it's an old word (not sure what language!) that just happens to be used for nappies in the States now?

I thought it was badly written. She does build sympathy/empathy with Cromwell which is the only reason I finished it - but I won't be reading the sequel despite the Booker. I think she's a clumsy writer.

cupcake78 Thu 18-Oct-12 19:46:58

I gave up on it! Too much for me

BeehavingBaby Thu 18-Oct-12 19:51:52

I loved it but took ages to work out 'cockstand' blushblushblush. Did find it quite repetitive by the end I will admit, he has a lot of conversations! I thought that maybe the unusually frequent use of 'he' lent it a biblical, timeless quality?

BeatTheClock Thu 18-Oct-12 19:58:35

I struggled with it too. I didn't dislike it as such, but I found it hard going. I didn't stick with it because there was another book I wanted to read more that wasn't so challenging so I was sidetracked with the easier optionblush.

I do intend to go back and have another try because the second one does interest me quite a bit and I don't feel I can start that without having read Wolf Hall first.

KeithLeMonde Thu 18-Oct-12 21:21:01

I thought it was wonderful - but yes, a bit confusing. Have you got young children? (guessing from the sleep deprived bit). I read chick lit shite while mine were still waking in the night. You need a fully functioning brain for Wolf Hall I reckon.

Oh also, I remember the beginning whizzes through years and years very quickly and introduces loads of characters on top of one another. That calms down once you get a few chapters in.

ninjanurse Fri 19-Oct-12 16:37:00

I read a third of it and gave up. I reall wanted to love it as well, as I love the Tudor period, but it was just such hard going.

Parisbanana Fri 19-Oct-12 17:05:13

I gave up too. Just too confusing but probably not helped by me reading just a handful of pages each night when I was really tired. My friend though gave it a definite 10 out of 10.

AgathaTrunchbull Sun 21-Oct-12 11:47:50

I loved it (although Bring up the Bodies lacked the same novelty - I hardly remember anything that happened!). You have to let your mind immerse itself in the style of writing. It's a bit like when a writer uses words in a different language regularly and stops reminding you what they mean (I'm currently reading Shogun, by James Clavell, who does this with Japanese) - your brain will stop even bothering to translate them and just understand them naturally after a while. I would persevere, but set aside an hour in a silent room when you're not too tired!

howdoo Sun 21-Oct-12 22:10:49

I gave up too about half way through. Was forewarned about the "he" thing so that was OK but just found it hard going. Reminded me of doing A levels!

LineRunner Thu 25-Oct-12 08:35:17

I have just started reading it!

BillyBollyBandy Thu 25-Oct-12 08:38:36

I loved it! Thought I would find it hardgoing as had also been forewarned but was surprised I didn't obviously has an odd mind

Liked Bringing Up the Bodies but not quite as much.

Slothlorien Thu 25-Oct-12 10:19:47

I'm persevering, it is worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now