Talk

Advanced search

If I love Sarah Waters books, who else will I enjoy reading?

(6 Posts)
MrsMeow Wed 17-Oct-12 18:34:23

I've just finished reading Fingersmith and read Tipping the Velvet before that and really enjoyed them both, which I haven't done with a book for a long time! I'm just about to start Affinity and am going to buy her other book but it looks like she's only written 4 or 5?

Can anyone recommend other similar authors? I think it's mainly the historical aspect that I enjoyed, but her style of writing was excellent as well IMO.

Thank you!

highlandcoo Wed 17-Oct-12 21:38:37

Definitely try The Crimson Petal and the White by Michael Faber.

The Observations by Jane Harris is also excellent, a bit more humorous than TCPATW.

KeithLeMonde Thu 18-Oct-12 21:23:14

Try The American Boy by Andrew Taylor.

elkiedee Fri 19-Oct-12 12:29:50

Agree with all other recommendations, and Gillespie and I also by Jane Harris is a good read.

Emma Donoghue's historical books, eg Slammerkin, Life Mask, The Sealed Letter (Sealed Letter is 19th century, the others 18th).

I like the work of the late Diana Norman, who also wrote some historical crime novels under the name Arianna Franklin.

BeauNeidel Sat 27-Oct-12 19:31:08

I loved the Crimson Petal and the White! Beautifully written.

I didn't like Affinity. I did like The Little Stranger a lot, spooky ghosty story.

drjohnsonscat Tue 30-Oct-12 15:18:16

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now