Talk

Advanced search

Tis my 40th birthday - which one of these should I start with?

(15 Posts)
tadjennyp Tue 16-Oct-12 17:27:29

I put a couple of books on my wishlist recently after reading a thread on here and got them both! grin So shall I start with Sharon Penman's the Sunne in Splendour or Josephine Tey's Daughter of Time? Thanks!

greenhill Tue 16-Oct-12 17:30:47

The Josephine Tey book is brilliant.
Sadly I left my DH's copy on an aeroplane, when I was moved by an air steward for someone else to remove their bags from overhead storage.

mummytime Tue 16-Oct-12 17:40:36

I loved both of them. Josephine Tey is shorter I think.

tadjennyp Tue 16-Oct-12 20:34:48

Thanks! Hope you pick up another copy soon greenhill.

Lionsntigersnbears Tue 16-Oct-12 22:08:59

Both are brilliant, but I would start with the Josephine Tey. I read the Sunne in Splendour cover to cover in a weekend when I was a teenager. Oh to be able to do that now!

valiumredhead Wed 17-Oct-12 13:09:47

No idea but hope you had a great birthday smile

Poledra Wed 17-Oct-12 13:13:16

Haven't read Josephine Tey but adore Sharon Penman - the Sunne in Splendour was the first of hers I ever read, and it was unputdownable.

Do you have a whole lovely day to yourself just to sit and read and drink coffee and eat biscuits? envy

greenhill Wed 17-Oct-12 13:13:46

Have you made a start on your book? How was your birthday?

Poledra Wed 17-Oct-12 13:21:38

Oh crap - didn't read the date on the OP blush

Clawdy Wed 17-Oct-12 15:50:49

If you want another good novel about Richard III,can recommend "We Speak No Treason" by Rosemary Hawley Jarman. It's a wonderfully atmospheric,romantic read.

KeithLeMonde Wed 17-Oct-12 16:37:17

Lions, I had the flu last week and was mostly stuck in bed feeling woozy while the DCs were at school. And I had The Sunne in Splendour to read........... it was bloody wonderful.........

Happy Birthday OP!

tadjennyp Wed 17-Oct-12 17:04:36

Thank you! My birthday was nice - presents in the morning, normal ferrying around small children and then a meal out. Will suggest to dh that we both need at least half a day at the weekend without the kids to do whatever we please! smile

Lionsntigersnbears Wed 17-Oct-12 17:07:09

Yay for Keith! Envious- not fo the flu obviously :-). Happy (post) birthday Tadjenny :-)

tadjennyp Mon 22-Oct-12 21:21:21

thank you lions! Yay, my Chinese friend also got me Wolf Hall off her own bat! Really need to book some child-free time with dh!

StepInTime Thu 25-Oct-12 08:41:24

OOh yes Jarman definitely, I am reading "We speak no Treason" now and have been instantly catapulted back in time and loving the whole medieval intrigue. I also recommend her "The Kings Grey Mare" Forsooth - I kid you not, Jarman is a time-traveller!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now