Talk

Advanced search

Louise Penny - Murder she Wrote on mind bending drugs???

(5 Posts)
AnonymousBird Sat 13-Oct-12 15:29:59

Just started my first Louise Penny (Dead Cold) and despite great reviews, mostly, I feel like I am in a slightly darker episode of Murder she Wrote with Jessica Fletcher.... It's very unconvincing and the characters are cartoon like and the number of coincidences are extraordinary!!

I was expecting a good old fashioned murder mystery type book with an uncompromising old fashioned detective at its core, ie. switch my brain off but at least get caught up in it all.

What I find is what appears to be some kind of crime comedy caper which is rather short on the comedy but not in a good way.

Just me or does it improve after a dodgy start? Was really in the mood for a detective novel too!!!

racingheart Sat 13-Oct-12 16:59:36

Can't help on that one as I haven't read it. Have you read Ann Cleeves' Vera books? They're real old fashioned mysteries.

DuchessofMalfi Sat 13-Oct-12 17:47:22

If you're looking for a lightweight crime novel series, with bags of comedy, try Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels, starting with One for the Money. I love them grin

AnonymousBird Sat 13-Oct-12 17:59:30

Thx v much. I like full on crime and I like it more lightweight. But one which is funny when it's not supposed to be just doesn't work!!!

elkiedee Tue 23-Oct-12 12:51:51

I talk about books online with a group of people which includes lots of Louise Penny devotees - I read Still Life and will probably try others in due course from a library but am not sure what the fuss is about.

My tastes tend towards more gritty stuff on the whole, but for traditional cosy with a few edges, I rather like Ann Granger's books, or the ones I've read so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now