Talk

Advanced search

Sharon Penman - who else?

(6 Posts)
Vagaceratops Thu 11-Oct-12 07:16:31

I love Medieval historical fiction and have read a lot of Phillipa Gregory (Some good, some bad) and Alison Weir (The same).

I am loving Sharon Penman. She is in a totally different class and her books are fantastic. Is there anyone else of similar brilliance I can move onto once I have read all of hers?

Smoothingiron Thu 11-Oct-12 16:01:42

Try Diana Gabaldon. Great fiction with a twist. Or Ken Follett. Pillars of the Earth and World Without End are brilliant. Finally from me the Matthew Shardlake series by C J Sansom are great historical crime fiction. Like you I love Sharon Penman so I hope you find these as enjoyable.

mimbleandlittlemy Fri 12-Oct-12 13:43:48

Dorothy Dunnett - she wrote two masterful series, the Lymond Chronicles and the House of Nicolo which consist of 6 books and 8 respectively as well as King Hereafter which is a retelling of the Macbeth story. Once you've read her though, she will spoil you as far as all other historical novelists are concerned because she's in a class of her own.

DamnDeDoubtance Sat 13-Oct-12 16:39:30

Second Dorothy Dunnett, her books are amazing.

SoniaGluck Sat 13-Oct-12 18:48:07

Have you tried any Rosemary Hawley Jarman, here. It is years since I read anything by her, but her novels were highly thought of at one time. They may seem a bit flowery and dated these days.

Also, Anne Easter Smith here has been recommended to me but I haven't read any yet.

iismum Sat 20-Oct-12 09:10:07

Third Dorothy Dunnett - absolutely amazing. But her books require a bit more thought and investment than the easy-reading-bodice-ripping genre of historical fiction - it depends what you're after.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: