Talk

Advanced search

historical fiction recs - like TV's Tudors, Devil's Whore etc.

(19 Posts)
BigBoPeep Wed 10-Oct-12 18:57:24

Anybody got any bosom-heaving, bodice-ripping, horse-spurring, sword-weilding historical fiction recommendations, or maybe if not 'real' historical fiction, perhaps not-too-magical fantasy? Something like The Tudors on TV, and The Devil's Whore, which I just watched and enjoyed, but wanted mooooore. 4 episodes was NOT enough to develop the characters. I loved the Sexby/Angelica thing, her dressing up as a man and killing people, but still being a bit vulnerable and needing to be rescued by Sexby rather a lot, and not liking him at first but coming to luurve him grin

I've read phillippa doo-dahs and enjoyed them, but nobody recommend pillars of the earth because I thought it was total balls. It was like a 14yr old had written it, particularly the sex scenes...yuck.

Northernlurkerisbehindyouboo Wed 10-Oct-12 19:04:54

CJ Sansom is quite good - historical crime fic

BigBoPeep Wed 10-Oct-12 19:16:52

yeah they look good!

forgot to say - read wolf hall, loved that, and trying to fill the gap before the paperbacks come down in price...grin

BigBoPeep Wed 10-Oct-12 19:17:19

paperback version of bring up the bodies i should add for anyone who isnt so good at telepathy grin

Tryingtobenice Wed 10-Oct-12 19:28:03

Kathryn by anya seton. Oldie but goodie

Anything by georgette heyer

The angelique books. Totalbodice ripping trash but great fun...angelique and the king, angeliqe and the sultan etc...

Maamaa Thu 11-Oct-12 12:43:06

The Game of Thrones series is great for this kind of stuff though most of the sword wielding (of both kinds!) is done by the fellas until the later books. Elizabeth Chadwick is good too-bit like P Gregory especially the ones about William Marshall.

FireOverBabylon Thu 11-Oct-12 12:50:13

As meat loves salt is fab - set during the English Civil War.

NellyBluth Thu 11-Oct-12 13:01:45

Watching with interest - my Kindle is newly working, I have Amzon vouchers to spend, a great big thumping bodice-ripper with style would suit me perfectly.

Have you ever tried the Sharpe books? I bloody love 'em. Well, most of them - the first 8 or so are amazing, then you get the impression Cornwell is churning them out because he knows the fans want more, but they aren't half as good. Also by Cornwell is The Winter King triology about Arthur and Guinevere, I think they might be what you are looking for.

Benaberry Thu 11-Oct-12 22:44:11

Can thoroughly recommend the Bernard Cornwell Arthur trilogy - The Winter King, Enemy of God and Excalibur. A much grittier, realistic retelling of the legend, with some great characters (i love his version of Merlin!). His trilogy set in the Hundred Years War is pretty good too, first one is Harlequin. And Sharpe is great, fair bit of bodice ripping too! I agree with Belly, they do get a bit samey after the first 8 or so, but I did like the prequels set in India he wrote a bit later too.

Another historical tale I loved and come back too frequently is Rosalind Miles' "I, Elizabeth", first person Elizabeth I story, plays up the Dudley relationship. She also did an Arthur trilogy, think the first one is called "Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country" - it's a long time since I read them, but I remember enjoying them.

Another Arthur one I enjoyed, a bit more bodice ripping than Cornwell, is Helen Hollick's "Pendragon's Banner" trilogy (first one is called Pendragon's Banner). Still a "real" version of the legend, just a different take again.

Oh, and Alison Weir has done a couple of fiction ones. Lady Jane Grey book not big on the lighter side of things, but the Elizabeth one makes a big deal out of one of her relationships, and not Dudley for a change (won't say more, would spoil the book)...

Sorry, bit of an Arthur/Tudor theme going on there! Watching other responses though case of previously undiscovered authors, I adore a good historical fiction book.

Benaberry Thu 11-Oct-12 22:46:30

*Nelly, not Belly blush - phone autocorrect got me there!

mimbleandlittlemy Fri 12-Oct-12 13:40:13

Cannot recommend A L Berridge's books highly enough - Honour and the Sword is the first in a series followed by In the Name of the King and they come in to the category of everything you could possibly want in the horse spurring and sword wielding, I promise.

Forester Fri 12-Oct-12 13:43:17

Pope Joan (about a real life female pope) is one that stands out for me. Can't remember the author but would be easy to search for.

Abra1d Fri 12-Oct-12 13:50:30

THe Gilded Lily by Deborah Swift. Or her first novel: The Lady's Slipper.

Both set in the seventeenth century.

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2FLadys-Slipper-Deborah-Swift%2Fdp%2F023074687X&ei=-hF4UIP-N8Oc0QWBtIGgBw&usg=AFQjCNE6BZbPMB3LAKMC7XJGc_jfR_qeiA&sig2=xcGDlKSJbnU1UgFOorOgnA

Tryingtobenice Fri 12-Oct-12 19:24:58

For something a bit different Empress Orchid, a true story of an incredible woman who fought the politics at the Chinese imperial court to first produce a son and then protect him as Emporer.

VittysCardigan Tue 16-Oct-12 21:12:19

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is great, sexy scotsmen aplenty. The first one is called crosstitch

Leo35 Tue 16-Oct-12 21:15:26

The book of fires - Jane Borodale
year of wonders - Geraldine Brooks
In the company of the courtesan - Sarah Dunant
A catch of consequence - Diana Norman

I haven't read Forever Amber, but my understading is that it fulfills the remit for a bodice ripper!

StepInTime Thu 25-Oct-12 08:53:42

Another Oldie-but-goodie - Fiona Harrowe's "Love Scarlet Banner" -a fairly good read and definitely some bodice-ripping involved.

Housewifefromheaven Thu 25-Oct-12 08:56:40

this is very good

Housewifefromheaven Thu 25-Oct-12 08:58:32

Oops that link was a job application!!! Sorry.

here you go

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now