Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone read the most recent Jean Auel biok?

(11 Posts)
LittleRaindrop Fri 05-Oct-12 22:51:45

I read and really enjoyed The Clan of the Cave Bear series but I did skip whole sections that were description. I tried to read them again a couple of years ago but couldn't get into them as much. I'm a bit of a stickler for finishing a series once I've started though so I was wondering if anyone could tell me if her latest one (which I think was actually published last year, my To Read list is quite long) is worth reading.
Thank you

LittleRaindrop Fri 05-Oct-12 22:52:35

Sorry, book. The text is a bit small on my phone!

Cheddars Fri 05-Oct-12 22:56:11

I'd be interested to know too. The series was great to start with but did get a bit ridiculous towards the end.

I wouldn't be surprised if she invents a computer in this book. grin

Idontknowhowtohelpher Fri 05-Oct-12 23:51:19

There was a thread about this book last year when it was first published www.mumsnet.com/Talk/adult_fiction/1182600-I-hold-in-my-hand-a-copy-of-JEAN-AUELs-THE-LAND-OF-ThE-PAINTED-CAVES/AllOnOnePage - it's not exactly positive!

clopper Fri 05-Oct-12 23:53:49

I thought i would read the whole series but the last book was terrible and I couldn't finish it.

Ungratefulchild Fri 05-Oct-12 23:53:58

It ws dire, hideously dire. i feel like rewriting it myself so that poor Ayla can have a fitting send off.

AnitaBlake Fri 05-Oct-12 23:57:38

I really struggled to finish it tbh, although book five was worse. I was really disappointed.

LittleRaindrop Sat 06-Oct-12 08:02:38

Thank you everyone, I think I have my answer.

Chedder I wish these threads had a 'like' button, that really made me laugh grin

neontetra Sat 06-Oct-12 08:08:45

I didn't find it any sillier than the rest, actually. I find them quite fun. Less sex in this latest one - don't know if that's a plus or a minus.

Portofino Sat 06-Oct-12 08:14:29

I struggled through the 5th one and could not face any more of it. I got fed up with all the sex! It was very interesting from a Feminist perspective in how society was structured. I read them all this summer as we stayed in Les Eyzies in the valley where the 9th Cave was set.

Benaberry Mon 08-Oct-12 20:38:10

Sadly, having loved most of the rest of them (although struggled with the Shelters of Stone), I couldn't finish the last one. In fact I don't think I got half way through.

This is completely unheard of for me - I ALWAYS finish a book I've started, but this time, I just couldn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now