Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for some good 'light' reads please

(12 Posts)
Jahan Sun 30-Sep-12 21:09:55

I'm due to have a baby v soon and need some light reads to load onto my kindle.
I love Alexander McCall Smith and read Into the Darkest Corner recently too. Both are at a level I can cope with at the moment.

I just finished The Poisonwood Bible and although I did enjoy it, it drained me a bit!

ninjanurse Sun 30-Sep-12 21:12:36

I am reading The Hunger Games trilogy at the moment which is very easy to read.
Have you tried anything by Diane Chamberlain? A bit like Jodi Picoult but better.

Jahan Sun 30-Sep-12 21:14:11

Not tried anything by D. Chamberlain. Thanks will have a look.

highlandcoo Sun 30-Sep-12 22:52:03

The Inspector Gamache mysteries by Louise Penny are cosy crime, set in French Canada. Not gory, just entertaining.

Adriana Trigiani is pretty light reading. Good when your concentration isn't up to much.

East of the Sun by Julia Gregson is the story of three young women who travel out to India in the days of the Raj .. one to be married, one as her bridesmaid and the other as a chaperone. Very readable.

Jahan Mon 01-Oct-12 12:45:48

Thanks for those highlandandco
I've read Adriana Trigiani before and had forgotten how much I'd liked the book.

thefoosa Mon 01-Oct-12 12:51:03

Jojo moyes is very good

noseyparker4ahusband Mon 01-Oct-12 13:08:17

I agree re Jojo Moyes. I am reading her new one 'The Girl you left Behind' (another one of my 'freebies' from the 'GoodReads' website.) It is fab and not at all what I was expecting.

ebennet Mon 01-Oct-12 14:21:17

I read 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' recently and loved it! It's quite short and very easy to read. Wanted to read it before the film comes out this week - not sure whether it will live up to the novel, but we'll see!

elkiedee Tue 02-Oct-12 12:08:11

I noticed yesterday Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle is £2.84, and 3 of her less well known books are £1.19 each for Kindle.

Hilary Boyd, Thursdays in the Park and Scarlett Thomas, Bright Young Things - one of her earlier novels involving contestants in a reality show, are just 20p each.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 02-Oct-12 21:38:07

Miranda Hart has a free book ATM, which is very light and a bit of a giggle and I'm reading Prosperos Island, both of which were recommended by MNers.

gokhuvegeta Thu 04-Oct-12 15:54:48

The Darkness in the Shadows- M.L Briers, it's very funny and I couldn't put it down. I also liked the Hunger Games.

FireOverBabylon Thu 04-Oct-12 16:12:51

Miss Pettigrew lives for a day is a good light read. Also Muriel Sparks - girls of slender means, Prime of Miss Jean Brodie or Ballad of Peckham Rye.

I also love Rosamond Lehrman - weather in the streets, invitation to the dance (its prequel).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now