Talk

Advanced search

what is the best book gadget to buy

(11 Posts)
McHappyPants2012 Thu 27-Sep-12 19:49:22

Kindle, kobo, ireader ect.

As much as i love the feel of a real book, i think it is time for me to invest in a book gadget.

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Thu 27-Sep-12 19:50:57

I use my iPhone. Kindle would've my next choice.

CoteDAzur Thu 27-Sep-12 19:51:49

I love my Kindle. I had no problems with it and would heartily recommend it.

cocolepew Thu 27-Sep-12 19:53:22

I have the ordinary Kindle and the Kindle app on my phone, then I can sync them up and read my books from both of them.

BirdyArms Thu 27-Sep-12 20:05:52

I also have a kindle and kindle app on my phone, it's great, means that you always have your book with you so if you ever have 10 mins waiting with nothing to do you can read.

McHappyPants2012 Thu 27-Sep-12 20:19:42

looks like a kindle.

does it matter what kindle it is

CoteDAzur Thu 27-Sep-12 20:34:19

Doesn't it?

ZacharyQuack Fri 28-Sep-12 00:17:00

I love my kindle. If you're trying to decide which model to get, consider if you need Wifi or 3G, and if you need a keyboard, a touch screen or just basic buttons.

You only need Wifi or 3G when you're buying new books. If you have Wifi at home, you probably won't need 3G. If you think you'll want to buy books while travelling, you might need 3G. If you have a smart phone (iPhone or similar) you can usually use this as a Wifi hotpoint so you won't need 3G on your kindle.

A keyboard or touch screen can be handy to browse Amazon to buy books. I have the basic model, and buy books using my computer, then turn Wifi on my kindle to download the books.

The book reading functionality is identical across all models - except the Touch model has a touch screen for turning pages and the Keyboard and Basic have buttons on the side.

Personally, I'd get the cheapest model and spend any extra money I had on ebooks to read on it.

Peeenut Fri 28-Sep-12 06:39:25

We have 3 Kobo's in this house and love them, they seem to have the functionality as Kindles but cheaper. I got the basic one for under £50 for my son so I was happy for him to have it by the pool on holiday etc

It's worth researching how many titles are available for your device, what formats you can read, where you can buy, can you borrow library book.

follyfoot Fri 28-Sep-12 06:45:41

Zachary, would you mind explaning 'If you have a smart phone (iPhone or similar) you can usually use this as a Wifi hotpoint so you won't need 3G on your kindle.' to me please?

I've got a 3G kindle as we cant have wireless at home (walls too thick) so can download books fine, but am not techy enough to understand what a wifi hotpoint is and would like to know. Thank you smile

ZacharyQuack Fri 28-Sep-12 07:11:09

Hi follyfoot, I'm not an expert (DH set it up for me and I just nod and smile) but here's the iphone website info about personal hotspots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now