Talk

Advanced search

Hemingway - recommendations please

(9 Posts)
AnastasiaSteele Tue 25-Sep-12 10:53:53

I picked up a Moveable Feast at a friend's recommendation. I am loving it, and almost halfway through so want to do an Amazon order for when I finish it.

Does anyone have any favourites they would care to recommend?

Thank you kindly

tripfiction Tue 25-Sep-12 19:35:02

Gosh, if you like one of Hemingway's books, I think you will like them all. From a different angle is The Paris Wife by Paula MClain which is a novel looking in on his life. Excellent read.

AnastasiaSteele Wed 26-Sep-12 15:26:31

You are a mindreader! I'm ploughing through it at the moment. I heart Hadley.

elkiedee Wed 26-Sep-12 19:04:22

My impression is that A Moveable Feast is rather different from his novels and stories. I did quite like reading The Sun Also Rises many years ago, and it's included in a volume called The Essential Hemingway which also includes some of his short stories.

I learned recently that a biography of Hadley and Hemingway at this period has been reissued (probably following the success of the Paris Wife). Title is Paris Without End.

startwig1982 Wed 26-Sep-12 22:08:20

A farewell to arms is fantastic and hugely moving. really worth reading!

sieglinde Thu 27-Sep-12 12:28:41

YYYY A Farewell to Arms; I have to reread it once a year, and it always moves me to tears. Hem's prose is bliss. A Moveable Feast is very close in tone to A Farewell to Arms, and you might also like The Sun Also Rises, which is called Fiesta in the UK and which concerns Paris life before going to Pamplona. I alos love the short stories, especially Big Two-hearted River which is the one he's writing in A Moveable Feast in Closerie des Lilas.

I also have a weird mania for his other, often less loved late works. I like Across the River and into the Trees, though I hate the way they address each other, but it's worth it for the odd bit of brilliance, and I also like The Garden of Eden.

I too heart Hadley, but I heart her because of Hemingway. If you get very into the Paris Hemingway, don't miss the Woody Allen film Midnight in Paris grin If you get interested in biography Michael Reynolds is good.

BeeBawBabbity Fri 28-Sep-12 18:27:36

I just finished The First 49 Stories, the only Hemingway I've read. I like short stories so it suited me. Some were breathtaking but I did skip a couple.

Stokey Fri 28-Sep-12 20:30:20

For whom the bell tolls is his Spanish civil war epic, I liked it but may help to have some background knowledge of the period. I also like The sun Also Rises, though was living in Spain when I read both.

mimbleandlittlemy Mon 01-Oct-12 16:31:44

I'd really recommend reading The Sun Also Rises then reading The Paris Wife as one features very heavily in the other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now