Talk

Advanced search

Ive just pre ordered J K Rowlings new book.

(31 Posts)
VoldemortsNipple Mon 24-Sep-12 22:17:01

The Casual Vacancy.

Reviews sound like its going to be an interesting read. Very gritty with sex, drugs and parish councils all wrapped into one smile

JoMumof3 Mon 24-Sep-12 22:20:18

I think I may be joining you soon. All the hype is having the desired effect

DuchessofMalfi Tue 25-Sep-12 08:10:53

It looks interesting, but the price is putting me off. I'll be joining the long waiting list at the library for my copy smile but probably by the time my turn comes round it will be out in paperback grin

Francagoestohollywood Tue 25-Sep-12 08:18:07

It def sounds interesting. How much is it at the moment? (I am not in the UK)

GreenShadow Tue 25-Sep-12 12:30:46

£9.86 on Amazon
£10 Waterstones

Am very tempted, though wouldn't normally pay that for a book. I have some credit still on a Waterstones gift card though from Christmas, so must dig that out and see what's left.

I work for a parish council, so that aspect makes it doubly interesting to me.

VoldemortsNipple Tue 25-Sep-12 13:21:58

It's actually cheaper in hard back on Amazon than the kindle edition.

My mum is church warden in her parish. She always has stories to tell of the bitching that goes on by supposedly good Christian people. At the moment one lady is recieving anonymous letters and keeps finding dog muck on her step.

susiedaisy Tue 25-Sep-12 13:24:13

Sounds good doesn't it, but it will sit on my kindle wish list until its under a fiver!

GreenShadow Tue 25-Sep-12 15:53:03

Ahh, but when it says Parish Council it means the local government sort, not the church parish council.
Totally different sort of people involved - those on local authority councils don't tend to be 'goody goodies' but those with 'agendas' or who like to complain about everything.

coffeeandcream Tue 25-Sep-12 20:28:51

Hmm, I'm really not sure about this book. I'm a die-hard Harry Potter fan, and I'm not sure I want to think about her as the author of anything else (crazy, I know!). Will see what the reader reviews are...

VoldemortsNipple Tue 25-Sep-12 21:42:51

Ahh right. I think you get people with agendas everywhere though. Some people just love to think they have a bit of power.

Coffeeandcream, I'm really looking forward to getting to know her characters. I always ft as if I personally knew each and every character in HP. I'm not comparing it to Harry because that just can't be touched.

coffeeandcream Tue 25-Sep-12 21:58:25

voldemortsnipple - I love your name! Can just imagine Bellatrix going all weak kneed over you!

I'm still not convinced though, I just can't move on from Harry et al!

LostInWales Tue 25-Sep-12 22:05:51

Having just resigned from our local community council (parish council but in Wales) I cannot wait to read the book. If there is not heated and protracted discussion about the Christmas lights every month for at least three years then I will be very disappointed grin. I would like to point out that I neither had an agenda nor any gritty sex and drugs action. Should I complain?

LostInWales Tue 25-Sep-12 22:06:54

Actually, that's not true, I had an agenda every month but that came with bullet points and actions so probably not the agenda people mean here wink

Chubfuddler Tue 25-Sep-12 22:08:16

I used to be a parish councillor. If there was shagging no one invited me.

LostInWales Tue 25-Sep-12 22:09:56

We were getting it wrong Chubfudder grin

LostInWales Tue 25-Sep-12 22:11:01

Although thinking of my fellow Councillors maybe that wasn't altogether a bad thing!

LostInWales Tue 25-Sep-12 22:25:59

Sorry, did I break the thread with my over enthusiastic councillorness?

I can't wait to read the book but I'm worried that her writing will obviously be different for a different audience. I'm a huge fan of Terry Pratchett and I've just read two books by him that aren't discworld books and whilst absolutely brilliant and different I do feel a bit like whinging because I love the discworld ones so much. I imagine her brilliant take on human nature will come to the fore, can't wait.

VoldemortsNipple Wed 26-Sep-12 07:59:36

Oh my word coffeeandcream You have just given me horrible images of Belatrix ogling my boobs!

A few years ago when ds2 was about 7 or 8, he used to randomly shout out Voldemort's Nipple. grin Hence my name was born.

I'm sure the drugs and sex will come from the riff raff in the sink estate rather than the highly respected parish councillors. grin

poorbuthappy Wed 26-Sep-12 08:02:04

Lostinwales
I too resigned from community council thus year after a short but highly controversial career.
No one told me couldn't disagree with anyone else?!!!! confused
Also the bloody Christmas tree conversation. hmm

DuchessofMalfi Wed 26-Sep-12 13:04:12

I've just requested a copy from the library - I'm 73rd in the waiting list grin grin

susiedaisy Wed 26-Sep-12 13:06:26

73rd gringrin

DuchessofMalfi Wed 26-Sep-12 13:09:37

I've got no chance have I? Might as well wait for the paperback copy grin

susiedaisy Wed 26-Sep-12 13:52:44

eBay in a couple of months would be my bet!

Kveta Thu 27-Sep-12 15:41:23

I got my copy this morning - when the children give me 5 minutes peace, I'll be getting stuck in to it!

LostInWales Thu 27-Sep-12 16:25:51

I'm hoping mine will come tomorrow but I've got Tyler Hamilton's tell all book on Lance Armstrong and everyone's doping during the Tour de France first. The children can fend for themselves, I've got some reading to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now