Talk

Advanced search

To ask for book recommendation

(16 Posts)
Beaverfeaver Mon 24-Sep-12 20:41:30

I don't read a lot but when the cold nights draw in I do enjoy an easy read whilst taking a bath.

I have most recently been reading books by:

Kathy Leyte
Sophie kinsella
miranda dickinson
Marian keys
Patricia scanlan
Celia ahearn
&
Erica James

Any others I should try?

(IABU for posting here I know)

ChaoticismyLife Mon 24-Sep-12 20:57:10

I've been reading mainly crime thrillers lately but going from your list how about...

Cathy Kelly
Jill Mansell

Claireabella1 Mon 24-Sep-12 21:00:52

'The tea rose' by Jennifer Donnelly is fantastic.

TheMidnightHour Tue 25-Sep-12 18:50:34

Given the authors you list, I recommend reading reviews on Smart Bitches, Trashy Books. They focus on romance novels (including a lot of genre presses, e.g. Harlequin which all look the bloody same, even though quality varies mightily) and are an excellent resource for weeding the gold from the dross.

Even better, most of the books they review you can 'Look Inside' on Amazon or try a free Kindle sample (if you have a Kindle or download a free Kindle app for your PC) so you can find out if you like the author's style before paying ££ or ordering it from your library.

Specific authors I've enjoyed which you may like: Joanne Harris, Liz Fielding, Amanda Hocking, Julia Quinn, Courtney Milan, Marion Lennox

NurseRatched Tue 25-Sep-12 19:52:17

Recent library loans: A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. One of the funniest things I've ever read. The humour is kind of in-your-face [think of 'Blazing Saddles'], but -imho- beautifully written. On a more serious note: Hans Fallada's 'Alone in Berlin'and Suite française (Irène Némirovsky) - both superb/very moving and beautifully told.

MarysBeard Tue 25-Sep-12 19:54:14

Rose Tremain - anything really.

NurseRatched Tue 25-Sep-12 19:58:27

Honourable mentions to Joseph O'Connor's Star of the Sea not that it's relevant but he's Sinéad's brother and The Sealed Letter by Emma Donoghue. [All library loans for info of similarly skint book lovers grin ]

KellyElly Tue 25-Sep-12 20:01:44

The snow child. Just a lovely book.

NurseRatched Tue 25-Sep-12 20:02:26

Ooh and The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber. Will shut up now blush. Happy hunting OP smile

Based on your list I think you would love Jojo Moyes. Its chick lit but more to it. If I ever want a good pageturner that's who I look to.

stookiesackhouse Tue 25-Sep-12 20:04:16

I read The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks on holiday. Was a lovely story - couldn't put it down. It's stayed with me since.

CrunchyCowPat Tue 25-Sep-12 20:14:28

Sister by Rosamund Pike and My Best friend's Girl by Dorothy Koomson
Both are brilliant books - the sort you can't put down.
Would second Jill Mansell as well - feel good, lighthearted and easy to read.

OliviaPeaceAndLoveMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 25-Sep-12 20:21:55

Beaverfeaver

I
(IABU for posting here I know)

Well, yes, quite. shock
Likely to get much better recommendations in our fiction section so we will move this for you.

Happy Reading.

McHappyPants2012 Tue 25-Sep-12 20:30:42

50 sog lol.

ATM I am reading Daughter of smoke and bone written by Laini Taylor. ( and thanks for moving the thread from Iabu I didn't know there was a book section)

NurseRatched Wed 26-Sep-12 23:58:46

CrunchyCowPat > loved Dorothy Koomson's The Ice Cream Girls too.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 27-Sep-12 14:31:05

Life, Death and Vanilla Slices by Jenny Eclair. Very easy to read but found it compelling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now