Talk

Advanced search

Booker Man Prize 2012 - Shortlist Annouced

(17 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 12-Sep-12 11:14:56

Here. So how's read what then and was it any good?

I started The Lighthouse yesterday and so far it is very good.

samonly Wed 12-Sep-12 13:53:57

Just bought Umbrella but I've not started it yet. I read the Book of Dave a while ago and loved it. Will let you know soon!

Hullygully Wed 12-Sep-12 13:55:35

Only read BUTB, marvellous. Can't stand Will Self, not sure about the others.

KurriKurri Wed 12-Sep-12 14:33:10

Just about to start BUTB, haven't read any of the others.

Reading the Will Self blurb makes me wonder if there is a more pretentious phrase in the English language than 'non-linear, stream of consciousness novel' ?

Makes me want to spin round in my office chair screaming and hitting myself on the head with a rubber mallet.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 12-Sep-12 18:23:12

Makes me want to spin round in my office chair screaming and hitting myself on the head with a rubber mallet. let me know when you do that Kurri and I'll come and watch grin.

Hullygully Wed 12-Sep-12 18:24:07

'non-linear, stream of consciousness novel'

= Babbling self-indulgent horseshit

samonly Wed 12-Sep-12 23:52:51

OK, started and stopped "Umbrella" again. I was kind of remembering Awakenings when I bought it (the Oliver Sacks book - about sleeping sickness victims - I think it was a film too). One of the reviews says "uncompromising in style" which seems to = impossible to enjoy.

elspethmcgillicuddy Thu 13-Sep-12 00:56:19

I've read a few of them (5 of longlist so far, 3 of which were shortlisted)

The lighthouse I quite enjoyed. It was quite melancholy and a bit depressing but beautifully written and structured.

Narcopolis I really did not enjoy. It was very disjointed and leapt about. I didn't find the characters particularly engaging and found the whole thing pretty hard going.

Swimming home was quite enjoyable. Sone interesting observations on the nature of mental health problems and also about family dynamics. Some of the characters were a but sketchy though and could have been a bit more fleshed out.

BUTB I havent started yet. I find the whole capital punishment thing very disturbing and found it quite distressing through Wolf Hall that it was all inevitably leading up to it. I may read it or may avoid.

The thought of reading a Will Self book makes me vomit a bit in my own mouth so I won't be bothering with that.

The garden of mists (or similar name...) is waiting for me on my kindle.

Of the longlist I also read Harold Fry (fabulous, moving and uplifting- well worth a look) and Skios (can totally see why people wouldn't enjoy this as it is a farce and very silly but... Suspend disbelief and it is actually great fun IMO)

I like to try to read nominated books every year and have enjoyed it this year smile

elspethmcgillicuddy Thu 13-Sep-12 00:58:31

Ps apologies for lack of grammar and punctuation. Working at night plus iPhone equals can't be arsed with grammar grin

The idea of reading a Will Self book makes me want to sit down in a corner, rocking slightly, and whimpering. Self-satisfied twaddle of the first order.

Wolf Hall annoyed me because I was so interested in the characters and so irritated by the writing, so I probably won't bother with the sequel.

I don't much like the sound of any of them.

I do fancy reading 'Harold Fry' though.

CoteDAzur Fri 14-Sep-12 21:53:40

None of them sound interesting, except possibly Narcopolis.

DuchessofMalfi Fri 21-Sep-12 13:47:55

In case anyone's interested in reading the Booker shortlist novels - The Book People have got them on offer for £29.99 for all six. Can't say anything appeals except Bring Up The Bodies.

elkiedee Sat 22-Sep-12 22:28:16

I read and enjoyed The Garden of Evening Mists, and am still strongly thinking about buying The Lighthouse. I'm going to see both those authors speak at my local indie bookshop next month, and would quite like to be able to get at least something at the event.

Harold Fry is a great read but I'm not surprised it wasn't shortlisted, and I also read and liked Communion Town.

Peeenut Sun 23-Sep-12 11:02:26

I loved The Garden of Evening Mists. I can recommend his first book too.

elspethmcgillicuddy Fri 12-Oct-12 12:49:31

I just finished 'the Garden of Evening Mists' and absolutely loved it. The writing was beautiful. I was fully immersed and drawn into this incredibly beautiful, complex and dangerous world. I thought the relationships were particularly well crafted and poignant. One of the best books I've read this year and my vote for the Booker*

*although I haven't yet read Will Self or Hilary Mantel grin

Puppypanic Tue 16-Oct-12 19:21:34

Absolutely loved BUTB.

Tonight isn't it? Anyone know when? I seem to remember they announce the winner around 9pm?

elkiedee Fri 19-Oct-12 12:37:20

I bought the Lighthouse, still have only read the one on the shortlist (and 2 on the longlist)

And yes, the winner was announced on Tuesday - Bring Up the Bodies - I've still to read Wolf Hall!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now