Talk

Advanced search

Books set on east coast USA

(19 Posts)
louloutheshamed Tue 14-Aug-12 18:45:20

Just finished Maine by countries Sullivan, I always seem to enjoy books with this setting, eg douglas kennedy's state if the union.

Anyone for any other recommendations?

lots33 Tue 14-Aug-12 18:48:55

Other Douglas Kennedy books - I really liked the Pursuit of Happiness which is set in both NYC and in parts, the East Coast.

Bluestocking Tue 14-Aug-12 18:52:19

Most if not all of Anita Shreve's books have an East Coast setting - you might like those?

AnonymousBird Tue 14-Aug-12 18:53:46

The Great Gatsby by Scott Fitzgerald

Secret History by Donna Tartt

Further south, the unforgettable Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

I should know loads, as I am an American literature addict, but currently having holiday fuzz brain. Will post again when I think of some more.

Greatresult Tue 14-Aug-12 18:54:00

I think some of Anita Shreve's books are set in New England. Also, the classic Cider House Rules (Irving). Stephen King lives in Maine and often sets stories there.

fivegomadindorset Tue 14-Aug-12 18:58:10

The Weismanns of Westport.
The Whaleboat House (fantastic book)

louloutheshamed Tue 14-Aug-12 22:37:51

Thank you, lots of good suggestions there! Would anyone recommend any particular shreeve ones?

fivegomadindorset Thu 16-Aug-12 06:58:32

Light on Glass

doradoo Thu 16-Aug-12 07:15:40

New York by Edward Rutherfurd.

bluedogs Thu 16-Aug-12 07:18:00

Anything by Edith Wharton for period stuff. John Irving more recent. Richard Ford - the Sports Writers etc. Currently reading American Pastoral by Philip Roth - all set in NYC and surrounds. I think some of Joyce Carol Oates campus novels are set in the east coast - although I find her overwrought. Richard Yates - Easter Parade, a family story about two sisters set over the 50's and 60's in Maine. Just go into amazon put in the title of your last book and they are usually pretty good at recommedning others. Enjoy

elkiedee Thu 16-Aug-12 14:07:35

I think Elizabeth Strout's books are set in Maine. But New England or anywhere on the east coast? Do you read crime fiction? (Boston: Dennis Lehane; Washington DC: George Pelecanos; Baltimore: Laura Lippman)

IndridCold Fri 17-Aug-12 09:13:07

I love Anne Tyler. Aren't they set in Baltimore?

elkiedee Fri 17-Aug-12 11:19:30

Yes, and I love Anne Tyler too - she and Lippman have a rather different take on the city though.

stargazy Sat 18-Aug-12 14:49:32

Anita Shreve's books The Pilots Wife and Fortunes Rocks and if I remember correctly at least a couple other of her books.Weight of Water I think was another title.Liked all her books except the one not set in USA , a Change in Altitude about Africa.
Also can't remember author but think it was her debut novel out last year or so called The Postmistress was one I enjoyed.
Recently read While I was gone by Sue Miller and loved her style of prose and East coast setting so on my list of 'to do's to try another of her books.

tripfiction Mon 17-Sep-12 10:52:13

A Killing in the Hills by Julia Keller (W Virginia)
The Thorn by Beverley Lewis (Pennsylvania)
Open City by Teju Cole (NYC)
Pantheon by Sam Bourne (Connecticut)
Cape Cod Noir by David L Ulin (Cape cod)
The Given Day by Dennis Lehane (Boston)
Tigers in Red Weather by Liza klaussman (Martha's Vineyard)
Light on Snow by Anita Shreve (New Hampshire)
The Santa Shop by Tim Greaton (Vermont and NY State)

Hope that helps but you have probably already been and gone!

MadamGazelleIsMyMum Mon 17-Sep-12 10:54:26

Fortune's Rocks mentioned above (Shreve) a very good one.

Other Douglas Kennedy ones set on the east coast include Leaving the World, Pursuit of Happiness, The Big Picture (although story moves to Montana).

Prarieflower Tue 18-Sep-12 14:58:54

I've just finished Maine and loved it.I echo the Anita Shreave recommendation but she is addictive.Bodysurfing was kind of beach housey iykwim. Thanks for the Douglas Kennedy recommendation.

EdBird Thu 20-Sep-12 22:11:53

Not sure if exactly what you are looking for but "the art of fielding" was a great read for me. Would never have picked up a book on baseball but was recommended by a fellow customer in a bookshop who had similar tastes to me. Loved it. If you like john irving/ eugenides/ frantzen, its great. Sad to leave characters at the end

howdoo Mon 24-Sep-12 00:09:17

May not be what you're looking for, but all of Jane Green's later books are set in the East Coast, often with a London connection as well. She lives in the next town over from me, and it's interesting seeing the local settings she uses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now