Talk

Advanced search

Books set in africa?

(65 Posts)
FuzzzyDuckosaurus Wed 06-Jun-12 23:18:28

Looking for recommendations on books similar to 'a thousand splendid suns', 'half a yellow moon' etc.
Really enjoyed these and a few others buy the same authors and looking for some new ones.
Thanks

hiveofbees Wed 06-Jun-12 23:21:58

Power of One is set in Africa, and is very good, but might not be exactly what you are looking for?

sayanything Wed 06-Jun-12 23:24:58

The Poisonwood Bible is a fantastic read, set in the Belgian Congo.

FuzzzyDuckosaurus Wed 06-Jun-12 23:25:33

I'm maybe not explaining myself very well blush. Like books set in Africa and the troubles that go with it. I've read a few by chimamanda ngozi adichie and loved them.

Devora Wed 06-Jun-12 23:25:45

The Last King of Scotland, Giles Foden
The latest one by Aminatta Forna (can't remember title; set in Sierra Leone)
Abyssinian Chronicles, Moses Isegawa

FuzzzyDuckosaurus Wed 06-Jun-12 23:27:25

Thank you, I shall look them up! Now that dd is in her own room, I can get back to reading at night smile

GreyTS Wed 06-Jun-12 23:30:16

Try John Le Carre's The Constant Gardener, loads of non fiction set in Africa if you would enjoy that.

wild Wed 06-Jun-12 23:33:53

slightly older but chinua achebe for nigeria
doris lessing grass is singing
alan paton cry beloved country

drugofthenation Wed 06-Jun-12 23:34:24

She writes in the tradition of Chinua Achebe, so try his most famous one: Things Fall Apart.

Nervous Conditions by Tsitsi Dangarembga.

Jagua Nana by Cyprian Ekwensi.

There's the whole No1 Ladies Detective Agency series - I'm not a fan, but they are very popular, so lots of people disagree with me!

sayanything Wed 06-Jun-12 23:34:28

Then do look up the Poisonwood Bible -it's written from the point of view of four women, the wife and daughters of an American missionary, who move to a remote part of the Congo which is just on the cusp of independence. It's beautifully written and a fantastic story. Sorry, I'll stop here, I tend to get evangelical about books.

Oh and I second The Last King of Scotland and the Aminatta Forna one that Devora mentioned is The Memory of Love, I think. It's on my list but I haven't read it yet.

sayanything Wed 06-Jun-12 23:36:32

Oh and Disgrace by J. M. Coetzee. Ok, ok, I'm stopping.

FuzzzyDuckosaurus Wed 06-Jun-12 23:36:52

Done a quick google and poisonwood bible is sounding good. Might check library and see if they have it. I'll write down all suggestions and see if I can spot any in charity shop smile

drugofthenation Wed 06-Jun-12 23:40:29

Oh, now I love Barbara Kingsolver, and really hated Poisonwood. But it is undeniably set in Africa!

FuzzzyDuckosaurus Wed 06-Jun-12 23:43:19

Disgrace is sounding good too!! grin

HRHEightiesChick Wed 06-Jun-12 23:51:07

It is a big read but if you feel at all like some historical background, Thomas Pakenham's The Scramble for Africa is the book to read about how Africa was carved up into colonies in the 19th century. Gives you the narrative behind exactly why things are so bad in the Congo etc. May not be what you are looking for so feel free to disregard if you are purely after fiction.

FuzzzyDuckosaurus Thu 07-Jun-12 00:00:13

Thanks chick smile. I'm really fascinated with Africa as a whole. Enjoy reading/learning about it. First read thousand splendid suns (I know not Africa, but along same lines) then found a few others and have been hooked. Not picked up a good book in a good while now (think since I was preg!) so looking forward to a good read

Marking my place now because I really need to get back into reading. I love the Poisonwood bible, it's one of my favourite books.

lashingsofbingeinghere Thu 07-Jun-12 18:00:22

Lionel Shriver's Game Control is a controversial read about the ethics of population control in Africa. You'll either love it or hate it.

Andre Brink - Dry White Season. Just downloaded Lower River by Paul Theroux- haven't read it yet but normally enjoy his work and in his travel writing does Africa beautifully so I have high hopes as this is set in Malawi.
If you like non fiction try Paul Theroux - Dark Star Safari, or Tim Butcher - Blood River. I too am fascinated by Africa and read anything Africa related I can get my hands on.

FuzzzyDuckosaurus Thu 07-Jun-12 18:21:49

Thank you for new suggestions smile

Yes Africa is my idea of 'wow'. Never cared that much for it before but then visited Kenya a few years ago and ever since then. The people, the culture, the wildlife... Amazing!

sleeplessinderbyshire Thu 07-Jun-12 18:23:24

Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver

The Memory of Love - Aminatta Forna

The Devil that Danced on the Water - Aminatta Forna

Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese

I also got heavily into fiction set Africa having read Half of a Yellow Sun and Purple Hibicus

claraschu Thu 07-Jun-12 18:31:00

Disgrace was amazing, but just so painful that i couldn't bear to finish it.
I loved Things Fall Apart.

TheLightPassenger Thu 07-Jun-12 18:38:08

Deon Meyer writes well written thrillers set in South Africa.

elkiedee Thu 07-Jun-12 18:44:46

I loved Forna's The Memory of Love and her first novel Ancestor Stones is a good read, both set in Sierra Leone. Cutting for Stone is also a fantastic read, a lot of it set in Ethiopia

Leila Aboulela, Lyrics Alley (Sudan)
Irene Sabatini, The Boy Next Door (Zimbabwe/South Africa)
Hisham Matar, In the Country of Men (Libya I think)
Lauren Liebenberg, The West Rand Jive Cats Boxing Club (historical novel, set in 1950s Rhodesia)
Pettina Gappah, An Elegy for Easterly
Nadine Gordimer, lots of novels and short stories - South Africa - has been writing since the 1950s and has just published No Time Like the Present

Itsjustafleshwound Thu 07-Jun-12 18:45:23

Godwin - when a Crocodile eats the sun; Mukiwa
Aiden Hartley - Zanzibar Chest
Diamonds, Gold and War
Shirley Goodness and Mercy - Chris van Wyk
All Under Heaven - Darryl Accone
My Traitor's Heart - Rian Malan

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now