Talk

Advanced search

Off on holiday tomorrow - please help me with some good reads!

(8 Posts)
catanddog Sat 22-Oct-11 12:27:14

Off tomorrow on holiday and would really appreciate your advise for some great reads. Really enjoyed The Help, Water for Elephants, Secret Life of Bees, and currently just finishing Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe (seem to be having an "American" theme for some reason!) Hated The Slap and wasn't mad about One Day. Any recommendations?!

catanddog Sat 22-Oct-11 19:38:54

Shameless bump.......need help please!!!!!

ZombiesAteYourCervix Sat 22-Oct-11 19:40:37

Kate Morton. very good.

I'm currently embroiled in The Three Musketeers. Fabulously romantic and exciting.

ThePumpkinofDoomandTotalCha0s Sat 22-Oct-11 20:18:21

Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

catanddog Sat 22-Oct-11 20:26:48

Thank you, will look these up, much appreciated.

celticlassie Sat 22-Oct-11 23:09:09

May be too late now but I loved The Poisonwood Bible, Purple Hibiscus, Half of a Yellow Sun and The Boy Next Door (by Irene Sabatini) which are probably quite similar to the ones you've mentioned.

mrszimmerman Sat 22-Oct-11 23:17:08

Fingersmith, unputdownable book, loved it.

JiltedJohnsGhoulie Sun 23-Oct-11 11:43:43

Think it may be too late too but here goes. If you've got an American theme going on how about Runynon on Broadway or In Cold Blood or Breakfast at Tiffanys both by Truman Capote?

The only book I've read recently which was set in America was The Hummingbird and the Bear which was 99p in the kindle sale, did enjoy it and it would probably make good holiday reading but think that 99p is more on its money than the £7.97 they are charging now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now