Talk

Advanced search

Would love to find a French book - lightish read but not total tripe, available on Kindle. Anyone?

(17 Posts)
mrsgboring Thu 13-Oct-11 23:05:33

I'm going to France for half term and really want to try to resurrect my French a bit before going. I have goodish, very rusty A-level which is generally good enough to read a book with. My first plan was to get a translated David Lodge novel, but they are not available on Kindle, and I kind of doubt a paper copy would get to me very fast.

Can anyone recommend me something that's not too hard or heavy but not total crap either?

AKMD Fri 14-Oct-11 09:42:03

The Scarlett Pimpernel or one of the other books in the series would be pretty good. I'm fairly positive that they were originally written in French.

Bonsoir Fri 14-Oct-11 09:53:50

The Scarlett Pimpernel is a classic work of English fiction smile.

Why don't you read a popular recent novel with a good film tie-in that you can watch on DVD? I'm thinking of L'élégance du hérisson and Le Hérisson, but there are plenty more.

AKMD Fri 14-Oct-11 09:57:19

Oh, whoops smile It's about France anyway...

josephinebonaparte Fri 14-Oct-11 09:58:16

Bonjour tristesse? Marcel pagnols books?

TroelsHartmann Fri 14-Oct-11 10:03:29

you can get Victor Hugo novels in the original for kindle

ChippyMinton Fri 14-Oct-11 10:09:54

There are some parallel translations available on kindle.

here

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FetchezLaVache Fri 14-Oct-11 11:04:44

I suggest "Et si c'était vrai" by Marc Levy- it's a really easy read, great fun, very trivial but it keeps you turning the pages. It was made into the film "Just Like Heaven" with Reece Witherspoon. Also, I really love Amélie Nothomb, and I'm sure everything she's written will be available on Kindle.

mrsgboring Fri 14-Oct-11 11:17:32

Oh these are all great, thank you very much. Like the DVD tie in idea, as it has to be easy enough that I'll actually do it. (Oh and Pagnol is spot on - I have read some Pagnol!)

<off to play with Kindle>

CaptainNancy Fri 14-Oct-11 11:36:39

Something completely different- what about Daniel Pennac's Malausene books? sort of comic mysteries... Fairy Gunmother is the first, cannot recall French title though...

Or Fred Vargas' 3 apostles books?

FetchezLaVache Fri 14-Oct-11 11:50:53

That'll be La Fée Carabine, probly? That's a great translation of the title! I thought the first one in the series was Au Bonheur des Ogres? They are excellent, but there might be a bit too much "Parigot" in them for someone trying to get back into French.

CaptainNancy Fri 14-Oct-11 12:45:35

smile yes- they are quite slang-heavy actually (I have only read in translation)
Vargas might be more accessible? Again, I've only read in translation, but they were quite well-written. (and definitely not highbrow/heavy!)

CaptainNancy Fri 14-Oct-11 12:47:48

What about Les Grandes Meaulnes by Alain Fournier?

CaptainNancy Fri 14-Oct-11 12:48:21

pah- 'Grand', sorry blush

mamandeouisti Fri 14-Oct-11 13:34:35

Anything by Annie Ernaux. Passion simple is my favourite.

mrsgboring Fri 14-Oct-11 14:42:14

Brilliant. I shall never need to lose touch with my French again, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now