Talk

Advanced search

Room by Emma Donoghue

(29 Posts)
ThatllDoPig Wed 12-Oct-11 09:46:16

Anyone read it? This book is making me upset and angry and giving me nightmares. I don't know whether to abandon it, or keep going. I need to know if there is some kind of resolution and a happy ending!

Hopstheduck Wed 12-Oct-11 09:48:04

Don't want to spoil it by giving stuff away, but do persevere. About half way though there are some big changes.

TheMitfordsMaid Wed 12-Oct-11 09:48:11

Keep going! It is worth it in the end.

Hopstheduck Wed 12-Oct-11 09:48:14

How far are you into it?

JellyMould Wed 12-Oct-11 09:50:01

Do keep going. I also put it to one side because I was too upst to continue, but it was worth finishing.

WhatsWrongWithYou Wed 12-Oct-11 09:51:13

I'm afraid I gave up at a very early stage. Like you, I was getting upset and angry and was haunted by the whole concept, and decided I could happily forego discussing that particular opus at my bookclub!

I do know they get out, and no one dies, but it's all a trauma and a struggle - as surviving that sort of situation would be irl, I suppose.

RunforFun Wed 12-Oct-11 09:52:10

Keep going.

I read this really quickly. I just had to keep on going to find out what happens next, but it made a big impact on me too.

I've just givenn it sil with an advanced warning !

WhatsWrongWithYou Wed 12-Oct-11 09:52:15

Oh, sorry, have I given too much away? blush

Hopstheduck Wed 12-Oct-11 09:52:45

I think I read it in 2 days, I think I would have found it harder to have the early part of the book on my mind for weeks or so.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Wed 12-Oct-11 09:55:11

Another advocating perseverance. I read it in about a day and a half. Most of it I read as we drove to Paris, the rest I read as DH and DD went on a trip along the river. I just had to finish it.

LoveInAColdClimate Wed 12-Oct-11 09:55:41

I couldn't put this down. I appreciate it's upsetting but do advocate persevering.

ThatllDoPig Wed 12-Oct-11 09:55:44

I'm about a quarter of the way through. Its so strange my dh came home from work with this book for me, lent from a woman he works with who reads a lot (as I do). I've never met her, but she thought I might like it. Weird choice!
I'll persevere after reading these posts, but might need to discuss it with you lot! Thanks for replies.

Hullygully Wed 12-Oct-11 09:57:35

I thought it was absolutely top notch.

brilliant.

paulapantsdown Wed 12-Oct-11 13:06:19

I to read it in about 2 days. I really found that it stayed with me for along time after. I found myself pacing out 15 feet too, just to see how small the space was!

whathappenedtom Wed 12-Oct-11 14:02:42

I was also disturbed by it but couldn't put it down. hmm Defintley keep reading... was left wanting more. smile

HenriettaFarthingay Wed 12-Oct-11 14:09:47

I found it a slightly difficult read. It was passed to me by my daughter who raved about it. I persevered and it is ultimately a reasonably satisfying read, though I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. However, the little boy's language I just found irritating, ie, room, bed, etc as they were animate objects.

usingapseudonym Wed 12-Oct-11 15:05:24

I thought it was a really good book. Very thought provoking and an interesting study - obviously well researched and thought through. I really admired the "mum" even though it was fiction!

celticlassie Wed 12-Oct-11 21:59:09

I can undrstand why your husband's colleague passed it on to you - after I finished it I wanted to pass it on to everyone I knew. Some of it was quite difficult to read but I just loved it.

ThatllDoPig Wed 12-Oct-11 22:19:55

They are out!!

Hopstheduck Thu 13-Oct-11 08:30:24

I think this is the part that gets the most interesting, keep going!

marianhalcombe Thu 13-Oct-11 11:13:33

I'm the odd one out here! I thought the second half was a bit pants and lost its way.

Hopstheduck Thu 13-Oct-11 11:16:29

I liked it because it wasn't the straightforward big happy homecoming you might expect, and I found the issues they had to deal with thought provoking

ThatllDoPig Thu 13-Oct-11 20:03:23

Ok. I finished it! Really very glad I persevered. Thank you all. Very powerful book, agree that I wanted it to keep going. What an amazing mum and little boy. Won't forget that book in a hurry.
Found it realky frustrating that he didn't get better aftercare. Was just cringing and worrying that bit when the uncle and family take him out for the day, a long time before he is ready.
Lots to think about.
And can maybe get back to life now. Very gripping book!

MangoMonster Thu 13-Oct-11 20:08:30

Is it worth reading? I wanted too but was worried I would find it too harrowing or depressing?

TheLittlestNarwhal Thu 13-Oct-11 22:33:57

I thought it was very good - one of those books that stays with you long after you have finished reading it. Definitely worth a read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now