Talk

Advanced search

Snuff Discworld Novel 39

(7 Posts)
ACL Sun 09-Oct-11 19:16:50

I am yet to read any of Terry Pratchett novels. Can I read this one without having read any previous ones? Thanks.

ACL Mon 10-Oct-11 10:59:40

Hello
Any comments please. Thanks.

flimflammery Mon 10-Oct-11 11:02:11

'Within the history of Discworld there are many individual stories, which can be read in any order, but reading them in sequence can increase your enjoyment through the accumulation of all the fine detail that contributes to the teeming imaginative complexity of this brilliantly conceived world.'
From the inside front of the one I'm reading at the moment.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 10-Oct-11 11:08:20

Well I've not read Snuff so not sure 100% but past experience would say that you'd be better off reading one of the earlier books first. You don't have to read all of them. I started off with Mort which is the fourth one and that was fine as the previous ones had been more based on the witches so it was kind of a different story line even though based in the same world. Then later on I've skipped books which havent appealed such as the Tiffany Aching based books. Plus there are plenty of one off type disc world books such as Moving Pictures which you could easily skip.

I think that Guards Guards is the first book That Sam vines and the city watch are featured in so maybe read that one first as then Snuff might make more sense.

Practicallperfectnot Mon 10-Oct-11 11:16:17

I was ACL!

Thank you heaps to flim and viva. it all sounds exciting!

emsy5000 Wed 12-Oct-11 20:49:03

Hi I would personally go for reading a few earlier books before you start as there can be quite a few injokes in them. But they are all great and you can pick them up in charity shops for nothing so go for it.

PointyBlackHat Wed 12-Oct-11 22:27:11

Snuff is a Commander Vimes one so I would start with Guards Guards, follow up with Men at Arms, you can skip Jingo but must read Feet of Clay, The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch, Thud - and then you will get the most out of Snuff. Terry Pratchett does not just write comic novels, he has built a world with people in it, they have continuing stories and Pratchett has a hell of a lot to say about the world we are living in and what it means to be human.

Not to put you off, but these books deserve your full attention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now