Talk

Advanced search

jilly cooper -wicked

(9 Posts)
josephinebonaparte Sat 08-Oct-11 01:05:45

Has to be theost bigoted book I've started to read for a very long time.... homophobic, racist, sexist, disablist and transphobic all in one book is quite an achievement.

Auntiestablishment Sat 08-Oct-11 13:35:39

I agree - the worst of hers by a mile. I never ever want to read it again.

The art one (Pandora) is the best since Men Who Made Husbands Jealous; the music ones never quite worked for me: I don't think Jilly "got" music like she "got" horses. The latest (Jump) is quite good, and back to the horses, but being in my mid-30s I can't really identify with a heroine of over 70.

Appuskidu Sat 08-Oct-11 13:46:33

I know Wicked was a bit pants (all the underage sex stuff was gruesome) but it kept my attention. I thought Jump, on the other hand, was dreadful-real pap and I had no sympathy for the main character who had no backbone at all.

Riders and Rivals were the best-thought they were great. I quite enjoyed TMWMHJ and Score as well though-less keen on the music and art ones.

josephinebonaparte Sat 08-Oct-11 16:33:42

Riders and rivals were of their time. Writing a bigoted book like wicked in 2006 is completely unacceptable, she obviously got a lot of criticism as her views were suddenly a lot more moderate in later books

halfnhalf Thu 13-Oct-11 07:01:58

absolutely agree - couldn't believe she'd written

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Thu 13-Oct-11 07:19:39

I quite enjoyed Wicked. Not as good as earlier books, but I still enjoyed it. I have read Jump once before and now rereading (i started at riders and read them all one after the other) and I have to agree that a main character being in her 60/70's just doesn't grab me and she is so pathetic. If she came onto MN she would be told to grow a pair grin

PattySimcox Thu 13-Oct-11 07:30:19

Oh yes totally agree. I found it very uncomfortable reading in places.

I know Jilly is not renowned for being PC but I can forgive her 70s attitude in her 70s books a little

Willowisp Wed 19-Oct-11 17:05:34

Wicked is the only Jilly cooper book I've never finished. It was idiotsville as far as I was concerned.

Absolutely loved Riders, Rivals & mostly enjoyed the rest of them. I particulary enjoyed the music ones !

Have just read a cracking book & now picking up Jump, fingers crossed it's ok.

josephinebonaparte Wed 19-Oct-11 18:54:11

Jump is quite good, Pandora was excellent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now