Talk

Advanced search

Is it ok to buy the Audio version of a book if its for a Book Club?

(12 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 07-Oct-11 14:32:24

Really not keen on the choice for next month, was ok with it until I realised its nearly 700 pages. Will take me forever to read. Would it be ok to buy it on Audible and just listen to it instead?

smileitssunny Fri 07-Oct-11 15:18:00

I don't see why not. In fact, why buy it, why not borrow from your local library? I think you get a different experience by listening rather than reading, but equally valid.
What is the book btw?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Oct-11 17:54:15

smile thanks for your reply the book is Middlemarch.

GeorgeEliot Sat 08-Oct-11 20:25:49

I think you should read the book - it's great smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 10-Oct-11 12:43:36

Umm you would say that wouldn't you grin.

elkiedee Mon 10-Oct-11 12:48:33

Have a look in your local library, most put their catalogues online now and you might be able to borrow very cheaply.

Don't you have a Kindle or am I mixing you up with someone else who posts about Kindle books? You can probably download a copy free or very cheaply if you have, or if not you could download to your computer and look at the book rather than buying.

elkiedee Mon 10-Oct-11 12:52:06

Yes, it's available in various forms on Kindle including a freebie one which I've already downloaded on mine, though I have a Penguin Modern Classics copy too.

smileitssunny Mon 10-Oct-11 14:07:15

I've got that on my bookshelf. Haven't got around to it yet. Wasn't there a tv series a few years ago?
I only get round to listening to audiobooks in the car. I only take short journeys so generally it's a little disjointed!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 10-Oct-11 18:20:11

Yes have got a kindle smile. It wasn't getting the book that was the problem, it was me being able to read it before book group. There again if I just spent a bit less time on MN.........grin

bran Mon 10-Oct-11 18:25:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bran Mon 10-Oct-11 18:29:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 11-Oct-11 20:31:36

Thought I could listen whilst doing other, really interesting stuff, like washing up, ironing or driving.

Quite like the idea of listening in my sleep and buying the study notes though grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now