Talk

Advanced search

The Guardian Angel's Journal - anyone read this?

(4 Posts)
nogoodusernamesleft Thu 06-Oct-11 00:09:56

I'm reading this at the minute and am really struggling to finish it, which is not like me at all!

I can't get my head round the concept of dying and then being sent back to be your own guardian angel, and I'm not a squeamish person at all (love Mo Hayder!grin ) but the descriptions of physical abuse against children are starting to turn my stomach a bit. sad I actually shouted "this is too much" at the book while I was reading it last night!

So has anyone managed to finish it, and can you reassure me that it does get better? Think my problem is that I have about 13 library books to get through so am spoilt for choice at the moment, and am looking for an excuse to go onto the next one!

KatharineClifton Thu 06-Oct-11 00:47:42

I give you permission to dump the horrible book and go onto the next one on the pile.

Galaxymum Thu 06-Oct-11 12:21:26

I liked the concept of this novel so gave it a go and did read it all - but I thought the child abuse described was horrific, and I felt the author was glorying in her horrible descriptions.

By the end I really didn't get the concept - it was all lost on me with the paradox of it and I didn't gain any satisfaction or feeling of redemption in the characters. I thought it was vile and I rarely think that in a book! Chuck it!

nogoodusernamesleft Thu 06-Oct-11 20:19:46

Thank you both for the permission to chuck this book and start something else! grin

Have taken your valuable advice and have now started reading A Discovery of Witches which I am really enjoying!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now