Talk

Advanced search

I need a gory, bloody, death filled book, please!!

(19 Posts)
IreadthereforeIam Wed 05-Oct-11 13:21:09

It's for a friend - honest!! It was her birthday yesterday, and her dp bought her a Kindle. SO she's had some vouchers and they're burning a hole in her pocket! Now if the genre had been almost ANYTHING else, I could've helped her - but I'm not too good on the death and mayhem!

Can anybody out there help me/ her??

Blueberties Wed 05-Oct-11 14:08:42

I think Kathy Reichs is the author for you smile

WideWebWitch Wed 05-Oct-11 14:18:39

Or Tess Gerritsen

steamedtreaclesponge Wed 05-Oct-11 14:22:36

Or Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy - just read it for book group, bloody deathy mayhem a go-go! Or maybe American Psycho? Lots of terribly graphic depictions of people being tortured in that.

Not my taste but each to their own, I suppose...

ncjust4this Wed 05-Oct-11 14:23:37

Tess Gerritsen or, for the really strong of stomach, Mo Hayder

kenobi Wed 05-Oct-11 14:24:46

Damn you steamedtreaclesponge there were precisely the books I was going to recommend!

kenobi Wed 05-Oct-11 14:26:09

There is a scene in American Psycho where he wanders around proudly wearing a severed head on his dick. Is that going to be graphic enough for her?

<whistles innocently>

IreadthereforeIam Wed 05-Oct-11 15:00:13

I think that might just do it, kenobi!! She's a very good friend, but she does like her blood and guts (she's even popped into the local undertakers to ask for work experience hmm). I'll email her the list - thanks again everyone!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 05-Oct-11 15:33:35

Anything by Christopher Brookmyre or the Barney Thomson series by Douglas Lyndsey.

Deesus Wed 05-Oct-11 15:36:06

She doesn't happen to be into post-apocalyptic zombie type fiction is she? If so there are an absolute tonne of books on kindle in this genre - and most of them cost under a fiver (with lots going for around two quid or less too!)

grin

freelancescientist Wed 05-Oct-11 18:42:07

Out by Natsou Kirino (or something like that) is the goriest book I've read in ages and I LOVE a high body count. Also second the Mo Hayder recommendations. Simon Beckett's books are also quite pathological if that floats her boat.

MaryBS Wed 05-Oct-11 18:46:05

Jeffrey Deaver? Books like the Bone Collector are pretty gory.

HedleyLamarr Wed 05-Oct-11 18:56:39

Every Dead Thing by John Connolly. Very graphic, very gory and written with a deftly humourous touch. Then the rest of the "Charlie Parker" books.

probablyaslytherin Thu 06-Oct-11 21:25:39

Stuart McBride. Every time I read one I swear I'm never going to read another. Not for the weak of stomach.
Some other tartan noirs are quite gory, too. Val McDermid for example.

tryingtoleave Sat 08-Oct-11 13:53:38

Game of thrones - I read the whole series a few months ago and stll feel soiled.

MrsRobertDuvall Sat 08-Oct-11 17:04:08

Chelsea Cain does a nice line in gory thrillers

Pancakeflipper Sat 08-Oct-11 17:11:32

Val McDermid books ( the ones with Tony in from Wire in the Blood). Everytime I think Val must be a sicko to think that all up.. then I read another one...

kazbur Tue 11-Oct-11 18:46:20

Karin Slaughter - guaranteed to leave me shaken!

Fifis25StottieCakes Tue 11-Oct-11 20:28:06

The Tess Gerritsen series is quite good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now