Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

A good book about being a new mummy - with a positive feeling

(16 Posts)
shopafrolic Tue 04-Oct-11 11:52:13

So here is my first ever thread on Mumsnet - apologies if I get this wrong. I am a new mum to my eight month old DS and still getting the hang of it - some days good, a lot of days bad!
I have discovered the Kindle is a great way to keep reading one handed and am trying to find some new books to read.
Currently reading I Don't Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson but finding the stress levels of the main character are rubbing off! I wondered if anyone can recommend any books about being a mummy that are a bit more positive and will make me feel that being a mum is fab and not life sapping!
Everyone I speak to at the mo seems really down on parenthood!
Any ideas?

KatharineClifton Tue 04-Oct-11 12:35:32

I have no idea as I read for escapism (from mummying), but just wanted to say welcome to Mumsnet smile

posey Tue 04-Oct-11 17:31:06

I will have a ponder for you, but in the meantime wanted to say, fab name smile

blouseenthusiast Tue 04-Oct-11 17:43:09

www.amazon.co.uk/Making-Babies-Stumbling-into-Motherhood/dp/0099437627/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317746535&sr=1-6

This is no fiction but a memoir and is lovely.

blouseenthusiast Tue 04-Oct-11 17:43:24

'not'

freelancescientist Tue 04-Oct-11 18:54:01

Beaten to it by blouse. The Anne Enright she's recommended is absolutely FAB!! Best book I've ever read on motherhood.

KatharineClifton Tue 04-Oct-11 19:18:04

That does look like a good book! Whatever you do, don't get Rachel Cusk's book which is listed on the 'customers who bought this book...'

KatharineClifton Tue 04-Oct-11 19:24:41

I don't know if you're looking for non-fiction, but this author has just come into my memory - www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/sep/10/mothering-parents-naomi-stadlen-psychotherapist - I've not read her books, but would like to.

KatharineClifton Tue 04-Oct-11 19:32:36

Getting into this now as feeling pretty pissed off as a mummy atm. www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_n_5?rh=n%3A266239%2Ck%3Amotherhood%2Cn%3A!1025612%2Cn%3A62&bbn=1025612&keywords=motherhood&ie=UTF8&qid=1317753064&rnid=1025612 has lots of books that look nice. The chicken soup one at the top is going into my wish list straightaway.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 04-Oct-11 19:38:11

Haven't heard of this book before but love the ever so slightly judgey review criticizing her for getting drunk whilst trying to get pregnant. Surely half the country were conceived whilst their Mum was drunk grin.

Think someone needs to relax a little....

Happy first new thread from me and I think you have a great name too.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 04-Oct-11 19:39:50

x-posted there a little, was talking about the Anne Enright review.

gethelp Wed 05-Oct-11 17:28:04

I was going to recommend A Life's Work by Rachel Cusk, but after seeing the thread I think I will read it again, I thought it was beautiful , describing the feelings of love and responsibility very accurately. Did others find it depressing? Maybe I am mis-remembering! 'Avoid 'The Hand That First Held Mine', that would be a sob-fest!

KatharineClifton Wed 05-Oct-11 18:33:34

Maybe I read it in the wrong mood gethelp, I remember it as one big wingefest - what I read of it anyways. Perhaps I should look again.

gethelp Wed 05-Oct-11 19:25:49

Actually reading positive books about being a new mother would have upset me at the time, I think I was looking for confirmation that other people found it as confusing and difficult as me. I found 'Before I Say Goodbye' by Ruth Picardie in a box recently and just cried and cried. It's not you, it's me. Sorry OP, hijack!

nogoodusernamesleft Thu 06-Oct-11 00:15:59

Life after Birth - Kate Figes This is the book that I firmly believe saved my sanity after having DS1 (13 years ago now!). I used to sit in our little en suite bathroom reading it and crying during sleepless nights, but it really made me feel like I wasn't alone. Am currently reading her book about teenagers, which is a whole new ball game! grin

shopafrolic Thu 06-Oct-11 08:52:25

Just wanted to thank everyone soooo much for coming back to me on this. I have to say as my first post I wasn't sure I would even get a response so am amazed and v chuffed. Am off to research and pick some new reading material............grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now