Talk

Advanced search

A good book for teenage girl with low self-esteem

(7 Posts)
AgentProvocateur Fri 23-Sep-11 17:04:45

My best friend's daughter is 16, and is a lovely, intelligent, talented girl. She really is fabulous, and a great person too. Anyway, she's spilt up from her first serious boyfriend and thinks she's fat/ugly/worthless etc etc. I don't live near here, but I've spoken to her and she's pretty down.

Can anyone recommend a book that I could send her - preferably one that's not too woo - that would perk her up? Thanks

mumwithdice Fri 23-Sep-11 17:09:04

What do you mean by perk her up? I understand the not too woo bit, but can you clarify a bit further?

AgentProvocateur Fri 23-Sep-11 17:16:57

Something funny maybe, rather than one that tells you to say that you're wonderful every morning. I had a great book once (that I can't remember the name of) and it was basically in the style of a cartoon problem page...

AgentProvocateur Fri 23-Sep-11 17:18:49

It was funny, feminist and accessible. I wish I could find it!

mumwithdice Fri 23-Sep-11 17:23:40

You know, Caitlin Moran's On How to Be a Woman is funny, feminist and accessible as well. That maybe?

AgentProvocateur Fri 23-Sep-11 17:26:54

That's a great idea. I've read it, so if I can remember what pile of books I've put it in, I could post it tomorrow.

Thanks

mumwithdice Fri 23-Sep-11 17:32:44

You're welcome. Glad to have helped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now