Talk

Advanced search

The Wallander books, any good?

(6 Posts)
CDMforever Thu 22-Sep-11 20:29:06

Haven't read any crime and wondered if this might be a good place to start.

Did the Steig Larssons but found them a bit too grisly/misogynistic.

Also been recommended Ian Rankin??

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Thu 22-Sep-11 20:46:44

Yes - Wallander books are good. I am reading The Dogs of Riga at the moment. I do enjoy Iam Rankin too.

Neither authors too gruesome. However they are both miserable, troubled, drinking detectives who are rather dour which can be a bit frustrating as it is so stereo typical.

Wallander does seem to have a little more depth to his character though, although on occasion I find the English slightly stilted. Certainly not an issue to out me off reading the books though.

Totally different, more political crime, but I found the David Baldacci books very hard to put dwon, particularly the Camel Club books.

learningtofly Thu 22-Sep-11 20:52:52

I love the wallendar books and the Swedish tv series. I prefer them to the millennium trilogy. The English is a little stilted at times but I find the storylines gripping.

CDMforever Thu 22-Sep-11 21:22:51

Thanx, do I need to read the Wallanders in the correct order?

susylou Thu 22-Sep-11 22:46:34

if you want foreign crime but in a less nordic vein, Donna Leon's books about Venice are quite fun.

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Fri 23-Sep-11 13:29:37

No I don't think so. There are some fairly oblique references to earlier books but nothing important to storylines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now