Talk

Advanced search

Two 'quotes' have been bugging me for ages . . .

(17 Posts)
Fairenuff Tue 13-Sep-11 22:14:00

I am really hoping some of you lovely well-read folk can help me out.

First is really vague. All I can remember is a poem or story about dogs (I think) with 'eyes like saucers'.

The other is a book which ends (I think) with the line 'All will be well, all will be well and all manner of things will be well'.

Please, please put me out of my misery. These images are stuck in my head but where do they come from? Or have I been dreaming . . .

Eyes like saucers is, I think, the line used to describe the big scary dog in The Tin Soldier. iirc there are several dogs and each one's eyes is bigger than the previous one.

The 2nd is v famous but I have currently forgotten it!

DesperatelySeekingSanity Tue 13-Sep-11 22:20:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Here

Not the Tin Soldier - The Tinder Box ( i knew it had tin in!).

Dogs here

Tyr Tue 13-Sep-11 22:22:27

The second quote is the title of a book by Tod Wodicka. The quote is attributed to christian mystic Julian of Norwich.
Haven't a clue about the first one.

BendyBob Tue 13-Sep-11 22:24:08

Omg when I was little I had an old fairy story book (think it was my mum's) with that story about the dogs. Was it The magic Tinderbox? The picture of the dogs was terrifying!

TheVastHunnicEmpire Tue 13-Sep-11 22:26:14

ooooh i'm getting weird flashbacks.

Hassled Tue 13-Sep-11 22:26:38

The dogs with eyes like saucers reminds me of that book The Phantom Tollbooth - but it's children's fiction.

And yes, Julian of Norwich. I love that quote. The church in which she wrote was badly bombed during the war but is still there, and you can see the room she used. First woman to write in English.

Fairenuff Tue 13-Sep-11 22:27:52

Thank you Remus for The Tinder Box. I had forgotton all about it but loved the story as a child and probably read it over and over.

The second one is not ringing any bells yet. Don't think I've read a book with that title. I'm sure it's at, or near, the end. But I could be wrong.

BikeRunSki Tue 13-Sep-11 22:28:04

Eyes like saucers is from Hound of the Baskervilles.

BendyBob Tue 13-Sep-11 22:29:08

Ah now Phantom Tollbooth is a brilliant book.

posey Tue 13-Sep-11 22:29:11

The Tinder Box - that takes me right back. We did a musical version in primary school 30 odd years ago, and I can still remember an awful lot of the songs!

Fairenuff - me too! I loved that one but The Red Shoes gave me nightmares for months! There was one about 7 dancing princesses too, iirc. I liked that one too.

Hassled Tue 13-Sep-11 22:39:15

Wiki tells me TS Eliot used the Julian quote:

The 20th-century poet T.S. Eliot incorporated this phrase, as well as Julian's "the ground of our beseeching" from the 14th Revelation, in his "Little Gidding", the fourth of his Four Quartets poems:

Whatever we inherit from the fortunate
We have taken from the defeated
What they had to leave us—a symbol:
A symbol perfected in death.
And all shall be well and
All manner of thing shall be well
By the purification of the motive
In the ground of our beseeching.

Is that what you're thinking of?

Fairenuff Tue 13-Sep-11 22:44:52

Hassled I suppose it could be but still not ringing bells with me, sorry.

I get the feeling the character in the book was an old man and he may have said A' will be well, and a' will be well and a' manner of things will be well.

I get the feeling it could be a classic, but from where I can't remember. Hardy maybe?

Sorry, not much help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now