Talk

Advanced search

Alexander McCall Smith

(10 Posts)
alexbear Tue 13-Sep-11 21:55:31

I love Alexander McCall Smith but am looking for a new author to read. Having a problem finding another good book to read.......... Bearing in mind I love AMS, does anyone have any ideas of the sort of book I might like??

Thank you!

peggotty Tue 13-Sep-11 21:59:10

I will lurk here if that's ok smile. Love his scotland street and Sunday philosophy club series. I think what I like about them is the gentle humour and the reminders of Scotland (expat scot here!)

KatyMac Tue 13-Sep-11 21:59:55

try here

Great site

alexbear Tue 13-Sep-11 22:08:32

Thanks KatyMac. I tried to get into that site but it didn't catch on, so I couldn't read the bit that said 'What other authors readers of AMS like?'

KatyMac Tue 13-Sep-11 22:10:27

Sorry, do you mean you could see the map?

KatyMac Tue 13-Sep-11 22:11:58

Alexander Mccall Smith Jan Karon Lucy Maude Montgomery Wendell Berry Dodie Smith Fannie Flagg Christina Stead G K Chesterton Janet Lambert Anne George Janette Oke Annie Lamott Philip Gulley Joanne Harris Sara Waters Richard Paul Evans Matthew Kneale Pauline Gedge Miss Read A.S. Byatt Diane Mott Davidson Gary Snyder Tony Hillerman Barbara Taylor Bradford Philippa Gregory Winston Churchill Beverly Lewis Martin Edwards Franz Wisner Ian Sansom Odo Hirsch Judith Jance Dodi Smith Dorothy Whipple Dornford Yates Stephanie Mayers David Gibbins Margaret York Karin Alvtegen Louise Erdich As Byatt Stephan Zweig Loren Estelman Henry Porter Sophie Hannah

Are some of the names on there

FairyArmadillo Tue 13-Sep-11 22:12:23

Baking Cakes in Kigali. Can't remember who wrote it but I loved that and I loved the Lady Detective series.

alexbear Tue 13-Sep-11 22:16:46

Thanks KatyMac. I think I misunderstood site. Are all those names the ones recommended if you like AMS? Thank you!

KatyMac Tue 13-Sep-11 22:20:04

In the bottom left it says "back to the start" if you click on that & enter AMS, you get a map of who writes 'like' him the closer the name the more similar the books are

Have fun; it's amazing

alexbear Tue 13-Sep-11 22:34:19

Sounds great, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now