Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If I like Nancy Mitford, Jilly Cooper, Barbara Pym...

(88 Posts)
bigkidsdidit Tue 13-Sep-11 21:08:39

who else would I like?

A few months of biographies, feminist book group books and Serious Tomes and I need some fun (but not crap) books for the tube journey to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

thanks smile

meditrina Tue 13-Sep-11 21:09:49

Georgette Heyer - the Regency ones and the murders.

meditrina Tue 13-Sep-11 21:10:36

And EF Benson Mapp and Lucia series.

LoveInAColdClimate Tue 13-Sep-11 21:11:36

Barbara Trapido.

cleanandclothed Tue 13-Sep-11 21:13:43

Cazalet Chronicles by Elizabeth Howard. Josephine Tey.

cjbartlett Tue 13-Sep-11 21:14:24

Fiona Walker is very good and very horsey and sexy like Jilly Cooper

MmeLindor. Tue 13-Sep-11 21:14:27

Nora Roberts - her Chesapeake Bay trilogy, or any of the other trilogy.

if you like suspense, then her JD Robb series is good.

icapturethecastle Tue 13-Sep-11 21:14:40

Possibly Kate Morton -The House at Riverton, Forgotten Garden the Distant Hours. Kate Morton has said Nancy Mitford is one of her favourite authors. I love both.

bigkidsdidit Tue 13-Sep-11 21:16:41

ooh thanks everyone! I've never heard of any of these! Going to go mad on amazon!

I love horsey stuff and suspense. And crime fiction too but not too gory - Barbara Vine not Val McDermid

cjbartlett Tue 13-Sep-11 21:17:38

have you read the Alexander Mccall Smith series?

stleger Tue 13-Sep-11 21:17:58

Mavis Cheek. And Barbara Erskine. And Kate Atkinson who is quite gory but only in tiny bursts.

DoubleDegreeStudent Tue 13-Sep-11 21:20:22

Oh, oh, oh - in the summer I was introduced to Rosamond Lehmann. Dusty Answer is the one I read - I'd put it between Pursuit of Love and Brideshead Revisited (ie. you might not boast about reading it, but you get totally swept up, the prose is beautiful and you aren't embarrassed to be reading it)

CrackerFactory Tue 13-Sep-11 21:22:27

Sophie Kinsella especially "Twenties Girl" - absolutely amazing!

meditrina Tue 13-Sep-11 21:22:41

There's always PG Wodehouse!

And if you want "nice" crime, try the Diasy Dalrymple books by Carola Dunn and the Lord Edward Corinth ones by David Rogers, and of course, the wonderful Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters.

bigkidsdidit Tue 13-Sep-11 21:24:53

I have read Alexander McCall Smith (and I have my own Bertie!) and love them. Not such a fan of Sophie Kinsella, although I have read a few. Love Wodehouse!

Oh I'm so excited about all these! Lovely new books.

EightiesChick Tue 13-Sep-11 21:25:45

Laurie Graham - wrote Gone With the Windsors, The Future Homemakers of America. Very funny.

AnyoneButLulu Tue 13-Sep-11 22:00:09

The Diary of a Provincial Lady - EM Delafield, very Mumsnet. My copy has a preface by Jilly Cooper, who is a huge fan.

SybilBeddows Tue 13-Sep-11 22:01:15

I was going to say E.F. Benson.

SuePurblybilt Tue 13-Sep-11 22:03:20

Rafaella Barker

LoveInAColdClimate Tue 13-Sep-11 22:10:50

Great thread, thanks for starting it.

Francagoestohollywood Tue 13-Sep-11 22:18:35

I second The diary of a provincial lady

stleger Tue 13-Sep-11 22:53:28

Oh I love Laurie Graham! And Deborah Moggagh.

gethelp Wed 14-Sep-11 13:19:01

Elizabeth Taylor - not the film star! Rachel Cusk is good, but you should try Persephone Books, their shops are in London but also on the internet.

steamedtreaclesponge Wed 14-Sep-11 13:38:52

Dorothy Sayers is great for not-too-gory crime fiction - Lord Peter Wimsey is a wonderful creation and her books are very clever. If you like Agatha Christie you'll probably love her. Would also second the recommendations of Georgette Heyer and Rosamond Lehman, and Elizabeth Peters.

Have you read Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day? That's one of my favourites - really brilliant and good fun. It's published by Persephone who do a lot of great books, all by women writers and mostly published in the first half of the 20th century.

Sophie Kinsella is quite fun but very very silly - I find her characters too annoying to read but I know they are very popular. TBH the only chick-lit author I can read without wanting to kill myself is Marian Keyes.

steamedtreaclesponge Wed 14-Sep-11 13:39:13

X-post with gethelp there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now