Talk

Advanced search

I have a book token and a kindle. I need inspiration.

(7 Posts)
AtYourCervix Tue 13-Sep-11 20:20:38

Book token is for £10 I think.

Kindle is my favourite thing ever and needs some filling.

I like interesting yet not heavy stuff. Just read Elly Griffiths. Like crime stuff if not too gory. Like Jilly cooper, Jane Austen and Agatha Christy.

I'm going away for a week and plan to do some serious reading.

LowLevelWailing Tue 13-Sep-11 20:44:04

Elizabeth Jane Howard's Cazalet Chronicles?

How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran

anything by Maggie O'Farrell

ummmm. Will have a browse thru Amazon and buy a few things by accident

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 13-Sep-11 20:50:18

If you like crime, how about some Wilkie Collins, and its free.

I read The Ice Princess on holiday, its enjoyable but not brilliant and not too gory either, however it was 99p when I downloaded it. There again though I do like gory so it may just not be gory compared to Wallander.

One lovely MNer posted the site which will recommend books for you. If you put in Polo by Jilly Cooper one of the books it recommends is French Relations.

Hope you have a lovely holiday. Am not envy at all, honest.

Piedflycatcher Tue 13-Sep-11 20:58:26

May I suggest A Judgment in Stone by Ruth Rendell. I heard it discussed on A Good Read on Radio 4 and I bought it on my Kindle and thoroughly enjoyed it. "Eunice Parchman killed the Coverdale family because she could not read or write", is its famous first line. It is a crime novel where, from the beginning, the reader knows exactly what is going to happen, but continues to read the rest of the book in a desperate need to find out more details such as why and how.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 13-Sep-11 21:01:31

Maybe we could find you some books set in your destination, where are you off to cervix?

AtYourCervix Tue 13-Sep-11 21:08:10

Lyme Regis. What's that Mary thing one?

AtYourCervix Tue 13-Sep-11 21:09:51

I have GOT to stop buying books. Itis too tooo easy.

Will get something with book token (thanks DSsiter) tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now