Talk

Advanced search

The Woman In Black is coming out as a film next year, with Daniel Radcliffe...

(21 Posts)
LeBOF Thu 08-Sep-11 19:33:29

...and it looks fucking terrifying shock

I started reading this last night- I'm about half way through. I thought I'd do a quick google and see if there were any television adaptations, and was delighted to see it has been filmed recently.

Watch the trailer. All. The. Way. Through.

grin

Jacanne Thu 08-Sep-11 19:36:45

Oooh, can't wait - saw an older version of it one Christmas years ago and it was terrifying!

AuntieMonica Thu 08-Sep-11 19:36:56

link says 'access denied'

have seen this in the West End, i was being all brave and a bit 'meh' about it..until it started.

i hope the film version does it justice

LeBOF Thu 08-Sep-11 19:45:01

Sorry that link didn't work for you: try this one?

bigkidsdidit Thu 08-Sep-11 19:46:47

Eek! I nearly weed with fright reading the book.

bigkidsdidit Thu 08-Sep-11 19:49:24

Oh fuck me I'm going to have a nightmare just watching that trailer!

AuntieMonica Thu 08-Sep-11 19:51:05

cheers LeBof

looks pretty eerie - thanks for that!

HarrietJones Thu 08-Sep-11 19:52:50

I was v sceptical after seeing the play that a film would work. Hope they haven't used all the good stuff in the trailer though

LittleWhiteWolf Thu 08-Sep-11 19:57:05

Fuck, that shot at the end with DR gazing out the window and that face... <shudders>
Have never read the book, but I frequently see it on here on threads about scary books...tell me I should get it and be terrified...

thehamburglar Thu 08-Sep-11 20:42:05

Have they Americanised it?!

boogiewoogie Thu 08-Sep-11 21:16:13

I read the book quite recently and have seen the trailer. I think the trailer makes the film look gorier than the book to be honest. I hope that it hasn't deviated from the original story too much. A simple. good old fashioned ghost story.

Really looking forward to the film though, I think Daniel Radcliffe looks well suited to play Arthur Kipps, I hope his acting doesn't disappoint. Not out until February sad.

carernotasaint Thu 08-Sep-11 23:10:53

Jacanne you are right. The TV version was on on Christmas Eve 1989. I remember cos me and my brother had to tape it as we had to go to midnight mass. It was a really good version.

I will probably end up watching it to see how DR has developed as an actor but I don't rate the book at all. I found it distinctly underwhelming and wasn't scared at all by it. I've read threads about it before where everybody says how terrified they were by it but I'm clearly missing something, somewhere (probably my own fault!).

It does look as if the film's been fairly sensitively done though, so maybe it will work.

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Fri 09-Sep-11 16:42:26

Don't know about the book but I remember seeing it at the theatre about 14 years ago (early 20s). I had to go back to an empty house afterwards since my student housemates were both on holiday. I'd been living there alone quite happily for about a week and a half.

I switched ALL the lights on, very nervously looked behind all the doors and in all the cupboards, and then sat in a chair WITH MY BACK AGAINST THE WALL and phoned my mum.

DharmaLovesDraco Fri 09-Sep-11 20:13:11

The creepy doll followed by the monkey nearly did me in, can not wait for it to hit the cinema, do we know when it's out?

Empress that's the sort of thing I'd do too grin

tiredemma Sat 10-Sep-11 16:00:44

One of my favourite books.

The TV adaptation a few years ago was fantastic.

MrsChemist Sat 10-Sep-11 16:04:34

Ooooh I hope they do it justice. I've seen the play twice and it's a favourite book of mine. I can't wait grin

deaconblue Mon 12-Sep-11 20:13:40

The play is amazing. I watched the first half, turned to dh and uttered the foolish words 'I thought this was meant to be scary'. Proceeded to crap myself with fear for the next 40 mins!

VivaLeBeaver Mon 12-Sep-11 20:15:14

Trailer looks great. Not sure whether to read the book before seeing the film or not?

CDMforever Mon 12-Sep-11 20:28:47

Blimey, thats brought back memories!

My brother and I watched the TV version and were scared shitless, I couldn't go to sleep with the light off for weeks!!

Whats with the crap American accents tho????? Its set in the Fens FFSangry

VivaLeBeaver Mon 12-Sep-11 20:45:34

Omg, I live in the fens (or within spitting distance). <wibble>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now