Talk

Advanced search

Fantasy recs please

(24 Posts)
Kayano Wed 07-Sep-11 14:34:41

I would like some fantasy recs please :D

I am currently finishing A dance of Dragons and I have The name of the wind to read next.

What fantasy novels do you love and recommend? I love children's lit too and have read many books so books aimed at the adult Market preferred for this thread please :D

Stephen King's Dark Tower series - seven books with four fantastic central characters. Should keep you going for a week or two!

Kayano Wed 07-Sep-11 21:01:35

Thank you.

I've never read any Stephen King despite Meaning to. Am looking into it now

I hope you enjoy them.

Do you like Terry Pratchett? I'm not a fan of all of his work but I really enjoyed the Sam Vine series of books. I think the first might be Guards, Guards but it's a v long time since I read them, so I might be wrong.

Kayano Thu 08-Sep-11 10:29:24

I have tried so many times with Pratchett but I'm either reading the wrong books of I just don't 'get it' lol
Im not a fan tbh

kiery Thu 08-Sep-11 14:41:13

Going back a few decades but you might not have read them,

Ursula Le Guin's, the Earthsea Quartet; A wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore and Tehanu.

Kayano Fri 09-Sep-11 12:06:09

I own those but I admit I struggled with the first one. grin

MysteriousHamster Fri 09-Sep-11 12:23:59

Robin Hobb? Start with either first Farseer trilogy or Liveship trilogy.

Guy Gavriel Kay writes good fantasy and much of it standalone (Tigana, Lions of Al-Rassan).

If you like GRRM, Joe Abercrombie writes good gritty epic fantasy.

Name of the Wind is supposed to be excellent but I just haven't got around to it yet.

China Mieville writes 'weird fantasy' - quite literary but fun if it's up your street.

If you like contemporary fantasy at all, Mike Carey's Felix Castor books (about an exorcist) are good.

PrideOfChanur Sat 10-Sep-11 11:17:43

I'd recommend the series beginning with "Rosemary and Rue"by Seanan McGuire.Sort of urban fantasy,but no vampires werewolves/undead.Possibly my favoritest books of all the stuff I've read in the last year! (or listen to the audiobook - which does mean you don't have to use valuable brainpower working out how to say the irish/gaelic/otherwise non-standard english names...)

mankyscotslass Sat 10-Sep-11 21:42:36

Robin Hobb

Terry Brooks - the Shannara books, especially the earlier ones.

Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth series

David Eddings - for a lighter read

Trudi Canavan

mankyscotslass Sun 11-Sep-11 08:35:36

Raymond E feist - Riftwar saga, and the series that follow it. And the Mistress of the empire books.

wowchick Sun 11-Sep-11 09:07:25

Just lying looking at my bookshelf now wondering where to start/add to the already excellent suggestions of authors.

Tad Williams - amazing! He also has sci fi which I haven't read (not my thing) but the fantasy ones are sooo good.

JV Jones

Steven Erickson - can be heavy going but once you get into them you can't put them down

George R R Martin - has taken him an age to finish the latest in his series which I hope will be published any day soon!

Karen Millen - I'd start with Hand of God

Fiona McKintosh - can be a bit hit and miss but Myrren's Gift series brilliant, as was the Percheron series.

Jim Butcher

Janny Wurts

Stephen Donaldson - again took me a bit to get into but once you do they are excellent.

Brent Weeks - Knight Angel Trilogy

Kate Elliott

Greg R Keys

L E Modessit Jr

Philip Pullman - Dark Materials trilogy

And just for fun I also have the Twilight series because at heart I am still 17 smile I loved them!

Enjoy!

huffythethreadslayer Sun 11-Sep-11 09:15:52

The Kindle has recently led me to some good teen books: have enjoyed The Mortal Instruments quadology (probabaly not the right name for them, but ykwim!); Divergent; also loved Ben Aaronvitch. He wrote Rivers of London and Moon over Soho (titles might be wrong am being distracted)....

mankyscotslass Sun 11-Sep-11 11:15:24

Agree Tad Williams.

Karen Hancock - Guardian king series

Karen Millen

Katherin Kurtz Deryni books

talkingnonsense Sun 11-Sep-11 11:34:54

Sarah Monette- series of 4 beginning with Melusine, fantastic narrative voice for one of the characters.

Sarah Rees Brennan- The Demons Lexicon, written for the young adult market, very good indeed.

Naomi Novik- Temeraire series, dragons in the napoleonic war.

TrillianAstra Sun 11-Sep-11 12:01:02

Robin Hobb - Assassin's Apprentice (and the rest in order) - slightly moany protagonist but supporting cast very interesting to make up for it.

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time - lots and lots of characters, often the story splits 5 ways (so like GRRM in that)

kerrymumbles Sun 11-Sep-11 12:02:41

are you new to fantasy? what have you read.

kerrymumbles Sun 11-Sep-11 12:03:30

The Talisman - stephen king is one of my favorite books

kerrymumbles Sun 11-Sep-11 12:04:03

second Le Guin's trilogy. one of the best imo

Kayano Sun 11-Sep-11 14:05:00

Not new to fantasy as such but I am really funny with them. I didn't like Kate Elliot but
Love George R R Martin, don't like Pratchett but love Tad Williams and Pullman.

I liked Katheine Kerr.

I have so much to look up thanks for the recs! I have bought Wheel of time 1 and have read 1 chapter so far.... Reserving judgement til I have read more though

I find them hit and missy sometimes but when they are done well they stuck with me for ages iyswim?

pointythings Sun 11-Sep-11 22:05:36

C.S Friedman's Coldfire trilogy hasn't been mentioned yet - this is brilliant, complex, character driven, quite dark, very poetic. Thoroughly recommend.

Also try K.J Parker's Fencer trilogy (gets a bit gruesome and cynical , but very well done)

Read early Robin Hobb, when she was writing as Megan Lindholm - Windsinger, The Limbreth Gate, Luck of the Wheels - all brilliant.

I'd also suggest Diana Wynne Jones's books for older teens - Time of the Ghost, Hexwood, Fire and Hemlock - she has written so many.

Jonathan Wylie has written some fabulous standalone novels, but they may be out of print.

wowchick Mon 12-Sep-11 06:59:10

And Melanie Rawn I forgot her! She's also very good.

NatureAbhorsAHoover Sat 24-Sep-11 15:40:41

Kayano you're not alone it finding it difficult to describe what you like, you just know it when you read it, right? Your taste is not a million miles from mine by the sound of it. Some good recommedations on here, but a lot of them are for the sort of YA fiction that I think you said you didn't want...

if you're looking for something more adult I cannot speak highly enough about the Kushiel series by Jacqueline Carey (Kushiel's Dart is book 1, read them in order)

It is filthy. Quite filthy grin. But so well written and such a clever, brilliant heroine... really loved it.

thehiddenpaw Sat 24-Sep-11 21:46:38

oh my goodness where to start, so many good recommendations here, a few names I am going to look up too. Children fiction wise rick riordan (also I know you do not like terry p but maybe if you try his kids fiction you might feel differently). Some names thrown at random, Kat Richardson, Stephen Deas, (am craning neck at bookshelf), please look at a recent thread on here for sci fi recommendations as there were LOADs and I learned a rake of new authors that I am currently working through, Jacqueline Carey was one and I agree, very sexual but very complex. think the thread may have had robin hobb in title

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now