Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I don't know how she does it - worried about film adaptation

(12 Posts)
rookiemater Mon 05-Sep-11 22:10:32

Despite the rather dodgy plot this is one of my all time favourite books, to my mind it totally nails all those WOHM tribulations. I really warmed to the main character Helen Reddy and I'm a bit freaked about the film adaptation because Sarah Jessica Parker is going to be playing her.
Pros - Ok SJP is not classically beautiful so at least that bit is true to the book Cons - SJP think as a stick and AMERICAN. Do we not have at least one British actress that could do the part. Come to that what is it with these Americans and their dodgy accents having just watched Anne Hathaway doing a dreadful job on a Yorkshire accent in One Day.

Anyway any other I don't know how she does it fans - what do you think of SJP and who do you think should have played Helen?

MirandaWest Sun 18-Sep-11 21:12:21

I too am wondering about it as I love the book (isn't she called Kate Reddy though?) and don't like the idea of it being Americanised, as having seen summaries of it, it is set in Boston rather than being in London. Think it may rather change it and not sure it will be right. Can't decide whether to see it at the cinema or wait until it's out on DVD.

tigerbear Sun 18-Sep-11 21:16:36

I loved the book too. Couldn't agree more that SJP is a rubbish choice. Same as when Renee Zellweger played Bridget Jones - so disappointing that it wasn't a British actress.

gilmoregirl Sun 18-Sep-11 21:20:38

I imagined her more like Kate Winslet, or even Alex Kingston or Catherine Zita jones? Definitely not a super skinney fashionista!

MirandaWest Sun 18-Sep-11 21:24:20

I think it is going to be totally American rather than just using an American actress IYSWIM. Looking here it is in America and also the cast list has her DH as being Richard Reddy. Which can't be right as although I can't remember his surname, it definitely wasn't the same as hers.

I think it might annoy me too much to watch it grin

juicychops Mon 19-Sep-11 13:54:47

i just started another thread about this book as didn't see this thread.
i too agree SJP is rubbish choice for Kate. Also i think in the film Pierce Brosnan is to play Jack which i didn't imagine him to be like that either. All wrong

MirandaWest Tue 20-Sep-11 14:44:29

In the interests of this thread (and because I have a cinema membership with some free cinema trips) plus it is DDs birthday today (she is at school smile) and I like going to the cinema on my own in the daytime I went to see the film.

Was perfectly fine but was very loosely based on the book. Children were wrong ages (Ben was 2 but has his first birthday in the book), it is all in America, Bunce isn't Australian, entire plot lines disappear, characters just aren't there and new plots are created. Not a patch on the book (and must find my copy and re read smile)

Makingchanges Tue 20-Sep-11 14:48:20

I haven't red the book but went a watched the film last Friday. Although it is watchable it isn't a memerable film.

I'm tempted by the book now though

Makingchanges Tue 20-Sep-11 14:50:42

read the book even

BikeRunSki Tue 20-Sep-11 14:57:36

I was going to see this on Friday (day off work) but was also worried about the Americanisation of it. Might not bother now. America and John Cussack ruined "High Fiedlity" for me (although I could look at John Cussack all day).

MirandaWest Tue 20-Sep-11 14:58:20

Do read the book smile

BikeRunSki Thu 22-Sep-11 22:41:54

I have ! Lots!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now